Commercial Lines Insurance - New to Industry

SarahLeigh

Hello:

I've been doing life insurance sales for 6 months and have been recruited to do commercial lines insurance for an agency that specializes in a specfic industry. I like the flexibility that I have now but will have to commit a 40 hours a week if I go with this agency. I like the targeted industry approach. What are the average and more specifically top salary pay for commercial lines? How are the commission structures?

I was in the financial services before and was making 120K. With life insurance I'm run rating 100K-120K as well but really hard work. What would be a good salary to ask for? Company's agents are making around 60K but owner sees potential in me. I am also in CA.

Any advice is helpful for me.

Thank you!

I got laid off but company wants me to come back. However, I want to build my own business and have the flexibility instead of working in the corporate world.

I got laid off but company wants me to come back. However, I want to build my own business and have the flexibility instead of working in the corporate world.

While it's rewarding to own your own business, it can be very demanding. With corporate, you can leave work at work. With owning your own business, you're always working. You're always building your brand and reputation. If you can work 80 hrs a week, by all means go for it. I've just seen too many people go on their own and can't take the pressure.

..I want to build my own business and have the flexibility instead of working in the corporate world.

Would the commercial business you bring in be yours? If you bring in the business, From your own lead source, & they service it, over time you may be out of the loop. Would they follow you down the road?

If they provide the leads, I think you'd be out of the loop even quicker w/ no hope of them following you down the road.

Back