Direct Writer or Independent Agency when New to P&C?

Kings22

I have a science academic background and strong sales professional background am making a transition from finance to P&C in California. I am based in Orange County and currently hold active licenses in P&C and Life and Health.

I have read in this forum that it might be wise to start off with captive agency in order to get the training and learn the business. Some companies mentioned were Liberty Mutual, Federated, Universal Underwriters and Sentry. Are there any other direct writers anyone would recommend? I would most likely be interested in a salary+commission position to start, realizing that I cannot take the book of business with me.

Or would it wise to start with an independent from the beginning? I have heard that there isn't really a norm in regards to independents having positions with salary+commission.

I would have to say that I am not really in the position to go completely commission only and build a book of business straight away on my own. However, I am open to the options of doing so.

I am interested in personal lines but would eventually like to transition to commercial lines down the road (or possibly from the beginning). However I have read in this forum that it might be wise to start with personal lines and eventually find a niche, whatever that might be, as commercial would be more difficult for someone starting out.

Another thing I have been looking at is possibly taking an entry level salaried position such as account coordinator or servicing with a commercial lines agency just to get the experience and eventually move up to producer or just leave and become one elsewhere.

I guess I am really trying to navigate and understand the inter-workings of the p&c business from newbie to eventually self-employed.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. This forum and it's members are a very valuable resource. Thank you!

Back