Drip Marketing Using Text Messages - Laws?

todd02

Guru
100+ Post Club
Ok so does anyone know the actual law when it comes to the following:

When we purchase a lead or when a consumer agree's to a quote ONLY, this does not imply cold texting cell phones.

Is there a limit on how long ago they agreed to the quote? Wouldn't it be cool if you could have drip text message marketing to pipelined prospects who get a text a month before renewal asking if they want a quote, click here?

Well Mr. Todd02 (while you should only be working referrals..) this does actually sound like a good idea if you've sold your soul to internet leads. I would assume that even if it were somehow illegal or against some rules...most people would be clueless on which authority to contact to "report you" to and even then...where's that really going to go?

I would pretend you're a pissed consumer & start calling your cell phone company, attorney general office, state department of communications or whatever & see where it goes.

For what it's worth, I have a friend of mine who was given the name of a referral to quote (but never actually spoke to the referral personally.) He worked up the quote & sent it to them & they made a huge stink about their reports being ran w/out their permission. They took it all the way to the DOI & were RUTHLESS and that went nowhere.

Farmers subsidizes those internet leads ehh? Insureme? Agentinsider? Hometown Quotes? GET OFF THEM

Ok so does anyone know the actual law when it comes to the following:

When we purchase a lead or when a consumer agree's to a quote ONLY, this does not imply cold texting cell phones.

Is there a limit on how long ago they agreed to the quote? Wouldn't it be cool if you could have drip text message marketing to pipelined prospects who get a text a month before renewal asking if they want a quote, click here?

Does not matter if they agreed to a quote, they have to agree to text messages. Papa John's learned that for a multi-million dollar settlement.

Does not matter if they agreed to a quote, they have to agree to text messages. Papa John's learned that for a multi-million dollar settlement.

Ok got it, so basically they have to Opt-in to an initial text message and we are golden. That works perfectly since the first text is free then. Of course we would ask the customer if they don't mind getting there quote by text then say yes to the opt in text...

Ins1822... Have fun with your referral business... I personally can't stand asking people for referrals. Yes I totally agree that's freaking retarded. But my personality was beat into me as a child don't ask people for sh$t and do it yourself... So as I've tried, I've failed.

Once my CRM goes live all the insurance agency business will go bye bye anyways... I can not wait for people to take a look at it...

Last edited:

Papa Johns (as a corporation) has deep pockets opposed to a personal lines agency owner so of course the filthy scum lawyers will chase that. You're nuts if you think Todd02's situation would warrant any major consequence.

tis better to ask forgiveness opposed to permission.

Todd02...if you're bringing on new clients it's because your providing them with a value. You need to buck up (and despite the fact it feels cheesy)...ask for referrals. Heck...ask over the phone & send out a referral form with your paperwork. you would be surprised how many people are happy to do so.

and by the way...our referral business is exclusively from realtors/lenders who send their clients. we do capture a handful of referrals from the clients themselves...but it's 85% from those aforementioned professionals. when your an indy with 15+ carriers who can ALWAYS come through...it's easy.

being a farmers slave...well maybe you can't deliver every time. I hope your CRM comes through (better get a big carrier like allstate, nationwide, state farm or travelers to buy it) cause otherwise you may find difficulty getting traction. Every year allstate used to bring in big tech firms w/ their "newest" crm and none of them every stuck. leads 360, quote burst, salesforce etc...

tis better to ask forgiveness opposed to permission .

This logic doesn't work in a marriage and it will not work with law.

Horrible advise.

Breaking the law is breaking the law.

Babe can I have sex with jane our neighbor?

Babe please forgive me I F 'ed Jane?

Both of those options don't end well.

Agents who are forward thinkers & aggressive with their marketing strategies will always (at some point) potentially be in a "gray area" with regard to the insane number of regulations/rules out there. You can't be pinned down w/ the fear of getting in trouble.

What I'm saying is...I don't think there's a huge exposure to doing a drop text campaign for people who've already asked for quotes. You can't just assume it's 100% going to be a problem & run from it. Too many agents (and people) are so focused on why something can go wrong instead of how it can go right.

Just sat down with the #2 auto producer at Allstate about my CRM to get insight on what Allstate Agents need.

He said; "If it's going to do what your showing me, Can I please be your first to sign up, you're doing what I've been trying to do but could never figure out how technologically."

My current To market strategy, is a grass roots campaign within the captive companies. Each company will have a dedicated server, so data is guaranteed not to be shared. Once we get about 500 agents signed on, we figure the companies will have no choice but to integrate with us. At our current trajectory, we see it taking 12 mo.

BIG QUESTION:

My biggest to market hurdle is even getting an agent to be open minded since we are bombarded by "the next best thing" advertising hourly.

What would make you listen/look into it? I'm thinking about just getting the biggest agents doing promotional videos since they already love it.

Back