Erie Insurance Agency Question - Business Insurance

I'm interviewing with other agencies and found a good fit with an agency that is appointed with Erie, and several other markets for commercial insurance.

One caveat is that they are NOT allowed to compete against another Erie agent's account. At least that is what I was told. So, if I meet with a prospect who is with Erie, and I think I can do a better job with Travelers, it doesn't matter - I'm supposed to just walk away.

The principle said they go as far as scrubbing their telemarketing lists before calling to not waste time going on a meeting that they'd have to walk away from. Sounds like a real pain because they have to do it 1 account at a time but I suppose it is more efficient than going on the appointment in the first place.

My question - is that the norm for Erie agencies?? They're competitive in my area but no better than a regional player like Penn National, who's contract isn't requiring me to walk away from a prospect they currently insure. This seems specific to business insurance coverage, which is all I do anyway. Any Erie agents out there with multiple appointments please let me know if this is the case or specific to this 1 agency's contract.

Thanks,
Bob

Yes this is normal. Erie's district managers will ask you to not take an Erie policy away from another agent regardless of who you want to put it with. The idea is that Erie agency does not want to be know for taking other Erie agents business and since Erie agents get together so often and know each other it might might not be so good for that agency.

What state are you in?

PA, near Philadelphia. How do you handle it while prospecting? Do you guys 'scrub' your calling and mailing lists? Guessing you're somewhere between NYC and Philly?

PA, near Philadelphia. How do you handle it while prospecting? Do you guys 'scrub' your calling and mailing lists? Guessing you're somewhere between NYC and Philly?

I'm outside of NYC. If I come across someone with an Erie policy I just let them know they're well covered. There's a ton of business out there I just move on to the next one.

If its a complex situation and the person really wants to leave Erie or its a family member or close friend you can talk with the district manager to figure out the right thing to do.

But....if it's a "new to Erie" account they will give the quote to a dozen different Erie agents if they all ask....and let them fight it out to win the account. One pet peeve I have with their buddy system.

We have multiple carriers and will work for what is best for our client, irregardless of what others may think.

Back