Erie Insurance & Personal Lines

Air Jer

Guru
100+ Post Club
Does anyone understand the Erie Insurance business model? I would think to write a decent book of personal lines you need a storefront. It appears almost all of the Erie Insurance agents work out of their house and a big chunk of Erie's biz is personal lines. I am having a hard time understanding how they do it.

I don't know their business model... but I do know several PL agents that work out of the house and do very well. Not having a store front makes them be more social... they go to the client or meet them at their work, the golf club, for lunch,starbucks,etc. I know one old guy that basically works out of the bar at a country club.... the guy is in his 80's and runs a $1M+ PL book playing cards and drinking. He is my hero.

Does anyone understand the Erie Insurance business model? I would think to write a decent book of personal lines you need a storefront. It appears almost all of the Erie Insurance agents work out of their house and a big chunk of Erie's biz is personal lines. I am having a hard time understanding how they do it.

First let me say, I am an Erie agent but don't own the agency I work through. I ONLY sell commercial, not personal lines.

Second- I have had my homeowners and auto with Erie for over 20 years.

I don't know where you are located, but Erie is second to none in my area and I am very proud to have their name on my business cards. Erie not only has great competitive rates but they also have a great claims department. I believe in them 100%.

I know every agent within 50 miles probably, and I don't know one that works out of their house, if they own the agency. I don't even think Erie allows it.

I am in Illinois and yes they have agents working out of their homes.

Just curious, are these agents that actually own their own agency, or producing agents that work for an agency.

I work out of my house too, but I don't work for the agency I represent, I am an independent that sells Erie through an agency.

The Erie web-site lists these agents working out of their homes and even gives their residential address. I guess selling personal lines from your living room isn't as tough as I thought it would be.

The insurance company is not responsible to pay for worn out roofs. If a tree branch fell and broke a bunch of shingles you would be covered. but a worn out roof is regular maintenance, and that's your problem. . Most insurance companies will send a professional roofer to check your roof, and if you have a worn out roof they tell the adjuster and you get zip.

Back