Ever Wonder Why Pit Bulls Are Excluded?

Pit bulls account for 62% of dog bite fatalities in the US from 2005 to 2014

Lol there's no such breed as a pit bull. There's the American Pit Bull Terrier and that is the only dog that can correctly be called a pit bull, not the mass mix of mutts with no known lineage that people "think" are APBTs. The only reputable registries that recognize the APBT are the ADBA and the UKC. I'm willing to put money that less than 1% of the dogs labeled pit bulls actually had documentation (pedigree and registration papers) to prove lineage. That website is a joke with no knowledge of breed identification and background. You cannot identify breed based off looks alone; furthermore, 20 other breeds are erroneously labeled as APBTs.

Lol there's no such breed as a pit bull. There's the American Pit Bull Terrier and that is the only dog that can correctly be called a pit bull, not the mass mix of mutts with no known lineage that people "think" are APBTs. The only reputable registries that recognize the APBT are the ADBA and the UKC. I'm willing to put money that less than 1% of the dogs labeled pit bulls actually had documentation (pedigree and registration papers) to prove lineage. That website is a joke with no knowledge of breed identification and background. You cannot identify breed based off looks alone; furthermore, 20 other breeds are erroneously labeled as APBTs.

And yet at inspection, you still get canceled, non renewed, or have to sign an exclusion of liability for the dog. So ultimately, does it technically matter? Unless you are breeding them, a pit is a pit in the eyes of most insurance companies. Just write it with a dog friendly company. I could be wrong, but I think that is more the point.

I have personally witnessed two nasty pit bull injuries. No thanks to pit bulls. Go away. Go far away.

Vick Insurance Agency
Atlanta, Ga.
Service Since 1974

So how were the dogs bred since you know they were APBTs?

----------

And yet at inspection, you still get canceled, non renewed, or have to sign an exclusion of liability for the dog. So ultimately, does it technically matter? Unless you are breeding them, a pit is a pit in the eyes of most insurance companies. Just write it with a dog friendly company. I could be wrong, but I think that is more the point.

Several companies go off bite history. And that's exactly my point is that underwriting guidelines regarding excluded breeds are a joke. REAL APBTs are so rare the general public had never put hands on one much less seen one. People see my dogs and call them pit bulls. I own Shorty Bulls and they look nothing like an APBT. Saying some rescue mutt is a pit bull doesn't make it true. It's just that. A mutt of unknown lineage.

As far as the public is concerned, people will call any dog with a square jaw a pit bull. Doesn't make them one. The site the OP linked to is a propaganda mill, pure and simple. The statistics mainly come from the fact that people will call just about any dog a pit bull.

Even people who are supposed to know really don't. For example, I adopted a rescue a couple of years ago - the humane society called it a Border Collie, the dog was clearly mostly Brittany Spaniel. But they saw a black dog with white markings, so they generalized - and got it all wrong in the process.

No matter how true or false the stigma about pit bulls, though, it is what it is. Got to work around it.

As far as the public is concerned, people will call any dog with a square jaw a pit bull. Doesn't make them one. The site the OP linked to is a propaganda mill, pure and simple. The statistics mainly come from the fact that people will call just about any dog a pit bull.

Even people who are supposed to know really don't. For example, I adopted a rescue a couple of years ago - the humane society called it a Border Collie, the dog was clearly mostly Brittany Spaniel. But they saw a black dog with white markings, so they generalized - and got it all wrong in the process.

No matter how true or false the stigma about pit bulls, though, it is what it is. Got to work around it.

This was a refreshing post. Thanks.

All pit-bulls should be eradicated from society. I know 3 people who own pits & every single one of them have bitten people or other dogs.

The site is flawed in so many ways. What is the difference between a mixed breed and combination?

Who is checking to see if they are purebred or not? Even the grouping is horrible. Mastiffs have a large difference in natural demeanor. The English mastiff is very passive where the bullmastiffs are sometimes noted for a more aggressive behavior. They have cane corso listed in 2 separate sections.

Back