Female Commercial Agent

Jessica Durphy

Guru
100+ Post Club
Kentucky
Does anyone know of ant successful female commercial agents!? If so...I would absolutely love to have a conversation with her/them... I'm a female, with an outgoing personality and feel that I could also be successful in this market .... However a little guidance would be extremely helpful!!!

And I would also entertain the idea of hiring someone for this position... :)

Jessica Durphy

My advice: Join insurance agent associations, attend local or regional meetings and events so you can network with other agents and businesses looking for agents. My guess is that you'll find plenty of female commercial lines agents to talk to.

I found three such associations in KY:

Home - Kentucky

Home

Home Page

And the Big I national association:

Home - Independent Insurance Agents and Brokers of America, Inc.

Thank you for this information... And links... I'll be certain to check them out!!

Jessica Durphy

What/Why does it matter if you are male or female? Are you not paying attention to what is happening in our modern times? There is no gender any more...bathrooms are no longer male or female, olympic gold athletes change their gender on a dime as it suits them, there are no salesmen but rather salespeople :)

If you're not laughing you are taking this post a little too seriously. But I am interested in why this is an important matter but I'm not naive and although society keeps trying to blur the traditional and biological(that be science) roles of gender in America and other progressive nations, Deckard is not fooled.

What/Why does it matter if you are male or female? Are you not paying attention to what is happening in our modern times? There is no gender any more...bathrooms are no longer male or female, olympic gold athletes change their gender on a dime as it suits them, there are no salesmen but rather salespeople :)

If you're not laughing you are taking this post a little too seriously. But I am interested in why this is an important matter but I'm not naive and although society keeps trying to blur the traditional and biological(that be science) roles of gender in America and other progressive nations, Deckard is not fooled.

My reason for looking for a female commercial agent... Perhaps because I feel like a successful Female agent would be like a "needle in a haystack.. a diamond in the rough" if you will! Seems like MOST commercial agents/producers are men.. and I feel that a Female with drive would be absolutely amazing and would knock it out of the park! I want to be that agent... I think speaking with her, hearing her setbacks, accomplishments, etc. would do nothing but thrust me in the right direction.

:) FYI: I've been on this forum long enough to know that there is a ton of Sarcasm!! I was smiling the whole time I was reading your post Deckard!

My reason for looking for a female commercial agent... Perhaps because I feel like a successful Female agent would be like a "needle in a haystack.. a diamond in the rough" if you will! Seems like MOST commercial agents/producers are men.. and I feel that a Female with drive would be absolutely amazing and would knock it out of the park! I want to be that agent... I think speaking with her, hearing her setbacks, accomplishments, etc. would do nothing but thrust me in the right direction.

:) FYI: I've been on this forum long enough to know that there is a ton of Sarcasm!! I was smiling the whole time I was reading your post Deckard!

A female comm.agt could have an advantage (or not),...depending on who you talk to. Works both ways. Commercial is more of a good ole boys network but if anyone's gonna have a chance to break those relationships, it might be a female.

How many states you licensed in?

A female comm.agt could have an advantage (or not),...depending on who you talk to. Works both ways. Commercial is more of a good ole boys network but if anyone's gonna have a chance to break those relationships, it might be a female.

How many states you licensed in?

I'm licensed in 3... However I'm primarily focusing in KY.

Jessica Durphy

In my office, we have 3-4 licensed 2-20 agents all female. I am the only male producer in the office and then we have another who is at a satellite location.

The females have lower production across the board. I'm going to explain why females tend to make less in business across the board. From my personal experiences women in general are sticklers for rules, they don't like to wing it or just go with the flow. Sometimes you gotta bend the rules, just ask Tom Brady :yes:

The females in this office can recite underwriting guidelines all day long but they can't go knock on a few new doors or make cold calls, etc...I'm not putting them down because my lack of focus to details is my biggest weakness and I know it. I would much rather make 10-20 cold calls then deal with paper work for example.

If that photo is you, trust me you'll have no issues being invited in, just make sure you know where the exits are ;)

In my office, we have 3-4 licensed 2-20 agents all female. I am the only male producer in the office and then we have another who is at a satellite location.

The females have lower production across the board. I'm going to explain why females tend to make less in business across the board. From my personal experiences women in general are sticklers for rules, they don't like to wing it or just go with the flow. Sometimes you gotta bend the rules, just ask Tom Brady :yes:

The females in this office can recite underwriting guidelines all day long but they can't go knock on a few new doors or make cold calls, etc...I'm not putting them down because my lack of focus to details is my biggest weakness and I know it. I would much rather make 10-20 cold calls then deal with paper work for example.

If that photo is you, trust me you'll have no issues being invited in, just make sure you know where the exits are ;)

I can absolutely see where you're coming from and I agree with you 100%... Hence my reason for saying, "needle in a haystack" or "diamond in the rough" .... I'm not afraid to door knock or cold call... That's how I got started!

Definitely not opposed to having a male producer- but a female commercial producer... Ahhhhh...now That's exciting! (I would like to do it... However commercial has never been my strong suit! But I'm willing and eager to learn)

Thank you for the compliment as well :)

Jessica Durphy

Last edited:
I know of a MGA in CA who is specifically seeking female Commercial agents for nationwide jobs. This guy is trying to be the national Commercial Insurance Cannabis King. He's on to something too. Cannabis is now not-illegal in something like 30 states now including D.C.

The whole national narrative is changing very quickly on the legal use and sale of cannabis. And with CO and CA making it fully legal to buy and grow and therefore tax at the Municipal and State level it's about to be a VERY BIG, legal, revenue generating business. There is also massive Private Equity and VC money pouring into the industry.

So there's always that.:idea: :yes: I'm guessing he thinks female agents will do very well. I think he's right. Chick's Rule!

Lot's of insurance needs required for a whole new industry.

Of course basic economics suggest that once there's so much supply prices of the end product will plummet. I seriously doubt the idea of Supply-Side economic in this case. I don't think making the product legal will create sufficient demand to maintain current prices of the product. I think many of their business models are created with 'black-market' price inputs, so there will be some lower price equilibrium somewhere

But in the meantime they still need to be insured. Lot's of D&O, EPLI, E&S, Crop Insurance, Personal & Product Liability, CGL, BOP...and stuff.

Does anyone know of ant successful female commercial agents!? If so...I would absolutely love to have a conversation with her/them... I'm a female, with an outgoing personality and feel that I could also be successful in this market .... However a little guidance would be extremely helpful!!!

And I would also entertain the idea of hiring someone for this position... :)

Jessica Durphy

Last edited:
Back