Over 150.000 insurance professionals and consumers come to the Insurance Forum every month. Click here to register for FREE

Go Back   Insurance Forums > Insurance Agents and Brokers Forum > P&C Insurance Forum

Reply to Finding Renters Insurance After Dog Bite Claim     
Old 06-19-2017, 10:38 AM   #1

State: wiagent is an Insurance Agent from
Finding Renters Insurance After Dog Bite Claim Finding Renters Insurance After Dog Bite Claim
I have a client that had a $30k dog bite claim on their renters insurance last summer and of course they are being dropped. The dog is a Border Collie but got spooked when a child wrapped their arms around the dogs head. I am a broker with about 10 different carriers and they have all told me no. I have a request through surplus lines right now so hopefully I'll hear something back but I just need to get something in force excluding the dog. Has anyone dealt with this or have recommendations? None of the earlier threads had much info on this.
------------------------------------
  Reply With Quote to Finding Renters Insurance After Dog Bite Claim
Old 06-19-2017, 01:27 PM   #2
Guru

State: gambrinus is an Insurance Agent from Colorado
Finding Renters Insurance After Dog Bite Claim Re: Finding Renters Insurance After Dog Bite Claim
I'll save you a few hours of misery and banging your head on your desk.. you can owe me a beer...

Don't spend another second of your time on this. As long as the dog remains in the house, you'll hear "NO"

KEY words "RENTERS INSURANCE" How much revenue does this client generate???

What is YOUR time worth?

IF this was a 5-Star "top ten in the agency" type of client... with a TON of work you MIGHT be able to place this with a E&S carrier but...

When / IF Surplus carrier returns a quote, it'll be a STAGGERING amount. I went through this a few years ago... NOT worth your time.

Russ Wilson
Littleton, CO
Old 06-19-2017, 09:10 PM   #3
Guru

State: indienoise is an Insurance Agent from South Carolina
Finding Renters Insurance After Dog Bite Claim Re: Finding Renters Insurance After Dog Bite Claim
Does he just need contents coverage? There is at least one product out there I am aware of that is a basic form, contents only policy. No liability. Not worth your time for one client though.
Old 06-30-2017, 04:21 PM   #4

State: wiagent is an Insurance Agent from
Finding Renters Insurance After Dog Bite Claim Re: Finding Renters Insurance After Dog Bite Claim wiagent is the thread starter for: Finding Renters Insurance After Dog Bite Claim

I finally got the surplus lines quotes back on this. Since the claim is still open they had to send me separate gl and property quotes. Property for 30k came back at 437/yr. and liability came back at $413 for 100k. A little different from the 100/yr they were paying before.
Old 07-03-2017, 12:59 PM   #5
Guru
VolAgent on Finding Renters Insurance After Dog Bite Claim

State: VolAgent is an Insurance Agent from Tennessee
VolAgent is a member of 5000 posts Super VIP club
Originally Posted by wiagent View Post
I finally got the surplus lines quotes back on this. Since the claim is still open they had to send me separate gl and property quotes. Property for 30k came back at 437/yr. and liability came back at $413 for 100k. A little different from the 100/yr they were paying before.
That sounds like a lot of work to maybe make 80 year, if they will take it.

I say this with absolute sincerity, did you have nothing better to do? Is the person a great client with plenty of other business, a referral source or some how otherwise connected?

Did you pre-qualify the person first to see if they would pay a substantially higher premium?

You can pay the premium or you can own the loss.
Old 07-14-2017, 11:50 AM   #6
Guru

State: marindependent is an Insurance Agent from Undisclosed Location
Do they still own the dog?

Try a policy that excludes coverage for the dog.
Reply to Finding Renters Insurance After Dog Bite Claim 

Insurance Agent Forum > Insurance Forums > Insurance Agents and Brokers Forum > P&C Insurance Forum