Fire Insurance Question

Drifting

Expert
I have fire insurance but no earthquake insurance. So what happens if there's an earthquake that triggers a fire in my house or triggers a fire down the street that winds up taking out my house?

you ain't covered.... What set the chain of events in motion i.e. the proximate cause? If it's an earthquake then you need to have earthquake insurance. If you live in an earthquake prone area obviously you need it. If you don't it's probably cheap enough to add as a rider on your current home policy. Ask your agent.

What state are you in?

In CA, unfortunately earthquake coverage is extremely expensive.

The Colonel is right though, if the earthquake ruptures a gas line, then the gas catches fire and burns the house, the cause is the earthquake and it will be an earthquake claim.

Now, if the fire happens 3 days later because you don't have power and you are using one of those old coleman lanterns for light and it tips over and sets the house on fire, then it is your homeowners insurance.

Dan

It gets down to the cause of the loss and proximity of the loss. Earthquake, earth movement, flood, and extenuating loss from those perils are common exclusions for your structure.

However, if your home burns up due to a fire caused by earthquake, flood , earth movement from a neighbors property.... that did not effect your location then I believe you are covered from the fire peril.. this would be a spreading fire from the hood.

Dave

In CA, homeowner's insurance must cover fire following the earthquake no matter it's immediate or days after the quake. this is according to CA insurance code 10088.5.
Explosion, theft and VMM after the quake is also covered. however water damage is not.

Back