General Liability Doesn't Cover Employees?

insrox

Expert
I have a client that owns a video surveillance company. He has four full time employees and three contractors (he plans to convert his ICs to W-2s soon). He says his GL will not cover his employees during installation of cameras. Could someone explain to me why this wouldn't be covered and what kind of policy does he need to cover his liability when his employees are on a job?

Thanks so much!

I probably didn't explain his situation very well...

Apparently his GL will not cover any claims whatsoever if the liability was caused during the installation of surveillance cameras. I guess this is an industry standard that GL policies will not cover any claim involving surveillance installation/work performed. Have you ever heard of this? He has a WC policy already.

I have a client that owns a video surveillance company. He has four full time employees and three contractors (he plans to convert his ICs to W-2s soon). He says his GL will not cover his employees during installation of cameras. Could someone explain to me why this wouldn't be covered and what kind of policy does he need to cover his liability when his employees are on a job? Thanks so much!

That doesn't sound right to me. Then why have GL?

I probably didn't explain his situation very well...

Apparently his GL will not cover any claims whatsoever if the liability was caused during the installation of surveillance cameras. I guess this is an industry standard that GL policies will not cover any claim involving surveillance installation/work performed. Have you ever heard of this? He has a WC policy already.

There is typically a "your work" exlcusion that would only cover resulting damage but not their work.

For example if a roofer installs a roof incorrectly and it collapses the resulting damage to the home and belongings would most likely be covered. The actual cost of replacing the roof would not be covered based on the "your work" exclusion and the roofer would have to pay out of pocket.

That makes sense. Are there endorsements that can be added to his GL to cover "your work" liability? I really appreciate everyones help!

You sure he isn't referring to professional liability? He does have a exposure here if he is designing the systems. Professional would pick up if it was a design flaw that's not covered under the gl form.

I have a client that owns a video surveillance company. He has four full time employees and three contractors (he plans to convert his ICs to W-2s soon). He says his GL will not cover his employees during installation of cameras. Could someone explain to me why this wouldn't be covered and what kind of policy does he need to cover his liability when his employees are on a job?

Thanks so much!

I am not sure what coverage u want for his employee. Get hurt on the job or job they did?

There is typically a "your work" exlcusion that would only cover resulting damage but not their work.

For example if a roofer installs a roof incorrectly and it collapses the resulting damage to the home and belongings would most likely be covered. The actual cost of replacing the roof would not be covered based on the "your work" exclusion and the roofer would have to pay out of pocket.

Until the project is completed isn't the only type of coverage for the installed work builders risk?

Until the project is completed isn't the only type of coverage for the installed work builders risk?

Builders Risk works for the general contractor or property owner. The subcontractors (roofing, electrical, etc.) all have exclusions for their work but the exclusion would not apply to the general contractor's policy.

The GL policy reads that the work of subcontractors doing work on your behalf are covered. So any faulty completed work all flows up to the general contractor's policy. I used to work in commercial claims and had the great pleasure of sorting this out...

I am happy to be in sales side of things now:yes:

Back