"Grinds my Gears"-For Agents to Vent

Rick Deckard

Guru
100+ Post Club
Family Guy had an episode where Peter hosted a TV news segment called "You know what Grinds my Gears" and so I simply am opening a thread with the title based on insurance. Quick story to get this off my chest.

-Fellow from Network Group asks for insurance help. I run many quotes showing to insure the property right anywhere from $3k-$5k with several carriers deeming the property ineligible, I also include a policy from Olympus for around $2k that will do the job...

-Not long after submitting I get a little email saying that I'm actually in major competition(aren't we always?) and that they have a quote for $1850 already...I don't think I have to walk thru all the mechanisms in your head this triggers, none of them positive.

-I ask to see the quote, he gladly sends(he is an attorney) and I actually beat the quote and also send another quote from Olympus beating it with same coverage...should be a done deal from someone in a networking group that doesn't have multiple P&C agents, I'm the only one.

-He notifies me I will not be doing his insurance and I feel like pulling him aside at the next meeting and basically grind a verbal axe thru his skull...he is young and this is his 1st home purchase, he lives with mommy and daddy even as he nears 30, I left home at 17/18 and never returned just like many of you.

-I'm angry and I know that is a terrible place to operate from. I'm grateful to have this forum to vent and it pains me that so many people treat us like dog poop and do not value our time in any fashion.

I'm not looking for sympathy or direct answers necessarily but I'm just angry that I allowed this turkey to take up my time. And it is my fault BECAUSE I should have sniffed out that he was taking in a lot of quotes and it wasn't gonna end well.

Dear Fellow 'piece of dog poop';

Get used to it!

Try not to take it personally - it is a business decision he made. He sounds like a compulsive shopper. Even if your wrote him this year, next year he would be busting your balls again, cause the premium will go up.

Its all a numbers game. On to the next!

Dave

Get used to it!

Agree. Early in my career I spent several years in the agency and had the same kind of customer.

Later in my career, as a claim rep, I had the satisfaction of telling that kind of person why I wasn't giving him the money.

PS: What "grinds my gears" is people who say INsurance, with the emphasis on the first syllable.

I quoted a guy today with state minimums and we were going to save him a whole friggin whopping $20 every six months. It was the very end of the day and I might just tell him I don't want his business because he will leave me when our rates go up next year. People are so dam friggin cheap and then scream and holler when the cut rate insurance THEY are adamant in having doesn't cover chit!

Life's 80% how we react and 20% of what really happens. Sounds like a client you don't want anyways. You lucked out. Next time don't sell on price but show value.

Definitely comes with the business. Imagine picking up the deposit on a $250k commercial deal, the owner so gracious b/c you saved him $90k (you saved me enough to buy a 7-series were his words).

You give him his binder, temp ID cards. He promises introductions to all his subcontractors. You deposit the check the next day as instructed and find out that they put a stop payment on it b/c the incumbent agent matched your pricing.

They say they rated his exposure incorrectly. They were using sales instead of payroll. So not only did they match it but they promised to audit the expiring coverage using payroll instead of sales..so he'd get another $70k+ back.

He praised my effort and thanked me, asked me to come back next year. I told him to give me a call when he's done jerking-off his insurance agent and I'd think about it. He hung up on me. Now I sell x-dates

Dear Fellow 'piece of dog poop';

Get used to it!

Try not to take it personally - it is a business decision he made. He sounds like a compulsive shopper. Even if your wrote him this year, next year he would be busting your balls again, cause the premium will go up.

Its all a numbers game. On to the next!

Dave

God Bless You, that is a great post and response, you're so right.

----------

Definitely comes with the business. Imagine picking up the deposit on a $250k commercial deal, the owner so gracious b/c you saved him $90k (you saved me enough to buy a 7-series were his words).

You give him his binder, temp ID cards. He promises introductions to all his subcontractors. You deposit the check the next day as instructed and find out that they put a stop payment on it b/c the incumbent agent matched your pricing.

They say they rated his exposure incorrectly. They were using sales instead of payroll. So not only did they match it but they promised to audit the expiring coverage using payroll instead of sales..so he'd get another $70k+ back.

He praised my effort and thanked me, asked me to come back next year. I told him to give me a call when he's done jerking-off his insurance agent and I'd think about it. He hung up on me. Now I sell x-dates

The hair on the back of my neck stood up at the end of paragraph 2 :err:

At the same time I have a couple other thoughts that crossed my mind...Patriots-Falcons in last year's Super Bowl as the Falcons get the rug pulled out from under them by Brady.

2nd thought is an old sales zinger that goes like this...The Easiest Way to avoid charge-backs, disappointments, rejections...don't write any sales to begin with which is adopted by a lot of poor sales people across America :laugh:

Chilling post as we begin a new journey together, right X-Date? I'm hoping that "Working Lab" thread has a much different tone.

----------

Jack, Teepee, Todd, good posts and thoughts, thank you.

Rick...thanks "very much" for sharing your experience.

Couple of things.

1. Don't do PC biz w/ atys (worst bunch to deal with)
2. Don't do PC biz w/ Drs (worst bunch to deal with)
3. Engineers (worst bunch to deal with)

All "anal types" who think they are smarter than everyone else (worst bunch to deal with). They will grind you down, and eat you up. STAY far-far away if you want a happy life.

Unless you personally, "know" these people...stay the away from "anal types."

Ahh...i see where you might have closed this cretin. Have your atty friend, make a quick call to prospect with the promise of filing a "Triple damages lawsuit", to recoup the OVER-CHARGE, (that's 3 times) what the org.agt promised. With that kinda bait, i'm betting you would have closed this scrooge.

~m

Had a garage door service business. He started local, then went national, expanding NV, MI, TX, CO, WI. On renewal, had to find a carrier to fit, and Nationwide came in. Their pricing was amazing - average premium per unit on the auto was around $1200 - included $500 ded's ( he wanted at the time), $ 1mill BI, med pay, and their 'enhancements' type endorsement. GL based on payroll, projected $3 million. 75 total auto units, shop locations in all the states with BPP, $5 mill excess. This account was not easy to place - not only did residential existing, but had a couple of 'tract housing' accounts for new installs. And not easy to service, as they were growing like crazy, constantly adding units and drivers. But the premium made it worth the effort. Total annual was around $130K . Placed in March and to my surprise, Nationwide paid commissions in full, not earned. cha ching!

Sept he asks for loss runs! WTF. A previous garage door owner buddy out of CA sold his company and is now selling insurance, a specific policy for garage door companies. He said, no harm in getting a quote. I explain the problem with switching mid stream, reviewed pricing and get him his loss runs. If anything, wait till March renewal to do your shopping. He agreed, I thought.

October I get the LOR. Allianz came in with a so called Garage Door Service policy, saving him 'big' $$$. Prick never would even let me see or even compare. He was totally focused on price, and I'm out. I went from heroe to zero. I mean, who writes commercial auto in MI for $1200/unit? N Detroit?

Then Nationwide does the short term audit, and sends him back $12,000 for the GL - the guy totally overestimated his payrolls. Of course the new GL is based on less as well. I finally talk to the guy after all the cancelling and he tells me he removed full coverage on 1/2 of the units, raised ded's on the rest, got rid of UM/UIM/Med and is now seeing a $200/unit savings, plus less on GL. But wouldn't let me compare at the end - what a piece of work.

That reversal hurt, and hit around Christmas time.

I could easily call him today, and he would be willing to get a quote from me for this October renewal. If I come in $100 lower, I bet he would switch back. But, I'm not going to waste my time.

We get kicked around a lot in this business, treated like dog crap, yelled at, complained about.

Gotta love it!

Dave

Back