Guard Appointment: Is It Worth It?

dahonored1

Expert
Hey guys, I am debating on whether or not to try for a Guard appointment as a subcoded through smartchoice. I personally think it's best to seek appointments one at a time as I don't want to over promise multiple carriers a certain amount of volume and end up not keeping up my end of the bargain. With that being said, is Guard worth getting for an all around type standard commercial lines market in NYC? Is there any other company that might be a better well rounded fit?

The only thing I can say negative about them is there is no underwriter relationship. You submit something and they either release the quote or don't. There is no arguing the matter as it falls on def ears. Some stuff that is so vanilla I cant think of a reason they wouldn't write it and they deny it and other things I think there is no way they will write it and they do.

The only thing I can say negative about them is there is no underwriter relationship. You submit something and they either release the quote or don't. There is no arguing the matter as it falls on def ears. Some stuff that is so vanilla I cant think of a reason they wouldn't write it and they deny it and other things I think there is no way they will write it and they do.

So they don't have a set underwriting guideline..I am pretty happy with Dovetail for the main street BOPs. What I am really after a strong habitational/LRO type carrier that will write the LLC buildings I am preparing to market to. It was either Guard or Amtrust..

Guard > AmTrust
AmTrust has gotten whacky since they bought tower.
Guard was even better 6 months ago. But they are still a solid option for property.

AmTrust's stock has been wacky too lately. The rumblings on wall street is that they are cooking the books (much like Tower). I don't have a great feeling about them.

Guard is solid and looking to grow aggressively.

Guard has very competitive rates on the classes they want to write. Their underwriting processs is horrific, like the other post said. They do very well against travelers, Hartford, Hanover, amtrust, Mercury, and others as well.

Been writing with Guard for years. One of my better carriers to work with.
Not sure why others wrote their unwitting sucks. I have no issues with getting a hold of nor working through a quote with their underwriters.

Some of their rates are good, and people like seeing "Berkshire Hathaway" on their policies.
I have been consistently unhappy with their underwriting, though. I have a $20,000 policy that is getting cancelled because the inspector won't show up to do the inspection, and refuses to return my phone calls. The one time I was able to get the inspector on the phone, he lied and said he "just got the inspection request". I called my underwriter and my underwriter told me the agents and inspectors are like cats and dogs, and he wasn't going to "take sides". What the hell!?!?!?! I am losing one of my larges accounts because the inspector refuses to do his job and my underwriter refuses to do his. That's Guard.

Back