Homeowners Ins for a Garage/apartment

I'm still confused why you are referring to it as an apartment, after telling us it's going to be his primary residence. If the shed looked like a house, and had 2k sq ft of garage, and 800 sq ft of living space, wouldn't you still write it as an H05? I certainly would.

Technically I guess it is a house. He calls it an apartment, his name for it which is why I said that. Its 4000sq ft of garage space with 1100-1200 of finished living space on the back. I have no idea what H05 is, I assume a homeowners policy type of some sort. ?

HO-5 is the broadest form of homeowners policy.

HO-3 is the industry standard and is probably what you have if you own your own home.

A photo of the setup would really help.

I'd say if agents aren't writing h05's for every homeowners policy that qualifies, they are doing their customers a huge disservice. We quote h05 on every risk that we see, and once you explain the benefits of having the broadest coverage available, it's easy to sell the policy, even with a bit of rate on top of their current premium, and get the sale.

Yeah, could we write h03's? Yep, but our agency wasn't built on undercutting coverage's in order to gain business, it was built on getting our insured's the best coverage they have available.

Nobody's accusing anybody of malpractice for writing HO-3s. You can quote HO-5s till the cows come home but if the risk doesn't fit the underwriting criteria of the insurance company, it might not even get a DP-1.

BTW, I have an HO-5 on my house. Your right, the price is reasonable and everybody should have one - if they qualify for it.

I would still like to see a photo of this garage/apartment.

Nobody's accusing anybody of malpractice for writing HO-3s. You can quote HO-5s till the cows come home but if the risk doesn't fit the underwriting criteria of the insurance company, it might not even get a DP-1.

BTW, I have an HO-5 on my house. Your right, the price is reasonable and everybody should have one - if they qualify for it.

I would still like to see a photo of this garage/apartment.

Oh, it obviously has to fit the risk, I just figured that was implied :laugh:

I'd like to see it too, and maybe the guy wants to come build me one on one of the pieces of ground we farm. I don't need 4000 sq ft of shop space, but I'd certainly take 1500 sq ft "garage" and 1500 sq ft finished living space, and since it's new, lets go 18' side walls so I can have a loft above the lower living space.

I'd like to see it too, and maybe the guy wants to come build me one on one of the pieces of ground we farm. I don't need 4000 sq ft of shop space, but I'd certainly take 1500 sq ft "garage" and 1500 sq ft finished living space, and since it's new, lets go 18' side walls so I can have a loft above the lower living space.

Yep, it's certainly nice having one of those. Mine is 38 x 50 = 1740 sf.

Haha. I plan to build a 30x40. He wanted a 40x60 but when he was spec'ing it out it was literally $10k more in materials to order a 40x100. And like everything else, no matter what size you build it you will fill it up. LOL

Yep, it's certainly nice having one of those. Mine is 38 x 50 = 1740 sf.

Yeah, mine isn't that big, but when we get to an acreage and out of town, it certainly will be! That or I can use any of our farm buildings....60x90, 45x90, and our heated shop :)

What'd this turn into, a pissing contest? :laugh:

Back