Homeowners Insurance Claim Question, Help Needed!

Krebs.56

Hi,
I have owned a condo in Ohio for a little over two years now. After some recent storms I noticed some wet spots coming up on my carpeting. The condo is on a slab and I suspect their is either poor drainage, cracked slab or something causing water to come up from the floor. I called my insurance company and they said if it is water leakage they will not cover it. Is there anything I can do to have them cover this? Is this even worth fighting or is this something the condo association may be responsible for. Maybe if there was bad drainage from the spouts or clogged gutters this would fall in the lap of the condo association?? Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I'm going to guess you declined the water backup coverage. If there was some gross negligence on the part of the association it might help. Generally water backup coverage is something different and if you don't have that coverage because you wanted to save a few bucks, that might just be a situation for you to learn from and go forward having.

Well thanks for the response. I do have pictures of my gutters overflowing with water becuase they were clogged. In the bylaws it does state the association is repsonsible for the gutters and foundation (among other things). So if there is water leakage due to poor drainage or becuase of excess water against the foundation when the gutters were clogged this may be something they are responsible for. I will have to look in to this.

Josh, this situation would not be covered by Water Back up in the policy to begin with. if there is something wrong with the slab it would be deemed as ground settlement which isn't covered by any policy. You should go to your association and plea with them.

Water backup covers water damage cause by a back up of water pipes/sump pump. The water must come UP through a FUNCTIONAL drain. A drain that is clogged would be denied as the drain is not functional.

Latest posts

Back