Homeowners Insurance Florida, Help Please

Fallout

I live in Miami Florida (Kendall). I also have credit problems due to a bankruptcy filing that was almost 2 years ago. I am currently paying $7,100.00 a year (down from $7,600) for homeowners insurance through Florida Peninsula for $215,000 in coverage, with a $4,300 deductible. Yes, ouch. Formerly, I was with Citizens and they charged me $7000 a year as well. i have an experienced local independent agent who has tried to get me alternate coverage, but I don't know how hard they have honestly tried. A California-based company was close to giving me a policy, but apparently they declined at the last minute due to my credit history. Since I have a mortgage, I must of course have coverage, and I do meet all my expenses without fail each month. My reasons for posting here are twofold:

(1)I can barely manage the mortgage payment each month and am seeking a new policy if someone will write it despite my credit problems.

(2) Florida Peninsula recently sent me a questionnaire that I am afraid to answer, with such things as having a alarm, pets, screened enclosure, etc. I am concerned that they will raise my rates even further using any excuse. Advice?

I have a new roof, re-wire, and wind mitigation report, if that helps.

John

Additional: My wife (co-owner and co-policy holder) did NOT file bankruptcy and should have good credit, if that helps.

Last edited:
I live in Miami Florida (Kendall). I also have credit problems due to a bankruptcy filing that was almost 2 years ago. I am currently paying $7,100.00 a year (down from $7,600) for homeowners insurance through Florida Peninsula for $215,000 in coverage, with a $4,300 deductible. Yes, ouch. Formerly, I was with Citizens and they charged me $7000 a year as well. i have an experienced local independent agent who has tried to get me alternate coverage, but I don't know how hard they have honestly tried. A California-based company was close to giving me a policy, but apparently they declined at the last minute due to my credit history. Since I have a mortgage, I must of course have coverage, and I do meet all my expenses without fail each month. My reasons for posting here are twofold:

(1)I can barely manage the mortgage payment each month and am seeking a new policy if someone will write it despite my credit problems.

(2) Florida Peninsula recently sent me a questionnaire that I am afraid to answer, with such things as having a alarm, pets, screened enclosure, etc. I am concerned that they will raise my rates even further using any excuse. Advice?

I have a new roof, re-wire, and wind mitigation report, if that helps.

John

Additional: My wife (co-owner and co-policy holder) did NOT file bankruptcy and should have good credit, if that helps.

Hello John,

I have an independent agency in Broward county which isn't far from you and access to almost all the homeowners carriers in your area. Please e-mail me your wind mitigation inspection and if you have a 4 point inspection to [email protected] and I will be sure to check all the options and make sure you are getting the best rate possible. Thank you and have a great day.

Thanks I will do that later today. I spoke to my State Farm agent yesterday and although they couldn't get me a cheaper policy, the agent said I could probably get a significant discount on my current policy if I get a newer wind mitigation report. According to him, my policy does not accurately reflect what my roof has as far as fasteners etc. Anyway, I'll send it shortly.

John

Back