How Aggressive Are You?

MrGolf

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
I don't mean in reference to networking and prospecting; rather I want to know how aggressive others are when you have a piece of business that is border-line? For clarification I am talking about commercial accounts where it is probably good enough to fit in your standard carriers, but is on the border of E&S. Maybe the property is older, few repairs, etc. Are you willing to be aggressive and put it in a standard market? Or do you defer it to the E&S to protect your profit sharing and loss ratio?

This is very coincidental.....I just had this SAME dilemma about 7 months ago. I always seek to protect loss ratio's so I put this older mixed habitational property w/ E&S (it was basically the same price as my standard market anyway..)

Well guess what? This building just suffered a partial fire loss yesterday:1biggrin:

The prospective insured was ignorant moron who insisted upon ACV in lieu of my professional advice. I had him sign off on agency letterhead whereby I spelled out all the differences & had him initial. I showed what the premium would be for the coverage I suggest & everything.

Honestly (as bad as it sounds...) I'm tickled pink on the inside. This POS actually called me up & when he reported it I set the expectation of how the claim would likely play out. His response was "well then why do I have insurance?!? I won't be able to rebuild 1 of the units for that amount of money..."

HAHAH well yes buddy I know that 100%...you and I 100% had the conversation you 100% disregarded my advice and you 100% signed your life away. Had I have been less busy yesterday I would have driven to the loss & tail-gated with some buddies while he lost his pants.

Anyway...go E&S with dirty business because it will eventually bite ya.

dont you have to have 3 standard carriers decline it before you can put with E&S, in some cases?

It depends on the state. In Utah I have to get at minimum 5 declines but in California you can go E&S on price or for a number of other coverage reasons

In Kentucky there is no rule on getting declines before approaching E&S.

It depends on the state. In Utah I have to get at minimum 5 declines but in California you can go E&S on price or for a number of other coverage reasons

Isnt this also a bit grey area? In NY, we need 3 carriers and ask why we chose that carrier for submission. If you know your markets well, you know which one will decline and get your 3-5 declinations.

Back