I Could Use Some Help Here

Johnboy

Expert
I have a client who bought a property that is commercially zoned. It use to be a bar on the first floor and apt/home on the second floor. He now uses the place a his primary home. It's brick building with a rolled flat roof. Is there anyone out there that would insure it as a HO-3 policy or a DP3 policy owner occupied? There is no commercial activity.

If it is a commercial building, you need to write it as a commercial policy. The only way around that would be to place it with a carrier that won't inspect the property. However, I would still be leary of writing it as a dwelling as it could create a gap for the insurance company to get of if a large claim arose.

The new owner may have a better shot if he/she got it rezoned, but still not a guarantee. Your client should just lease at the first floor and let whatever business pay the mortgage.

Only hope there is talking w/ an underwriter, but I'd tell you to walk from this. At anytime a commercial exposure is right around the corner. This may be a candidate for a lititz mutual, erie, Tower (now amtrust..) lehigh mutual, cumberland mutual, millers mutual or even harford

Hartford wont write the habitational risk, at least my uw wouldn't. Pekin and Auto-Owners will, but the bar space on first floor may be tough. If you used the gl code for restaurant with less than ×% of alcohol sales, it might fly.

If you have access to Society, they will write bar exposure, but no clue with the personal residence on 2nd floor.

Back