Ideas for Renters Insurance Doorhangers.

PotentialFarmer

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
Has anyone done a doorhanger assault on apartment buildings targetting Renters with auto cross sell? I want to try and develop the door hanger to attract the most attention and was hoping some of you may have some copy you wouldn't mind sharing with me so I can get some ideas. Really appreciate the help. I just need to get into new influence centers and I think it would be a great idea to branch out in this way.

When I lived in an apartment the most effective thing I saw was a letter mailed to me with a quote for my specific building. I don't think most people know how reasonable renters insurance is and my guess is that they would buy it if they did. After they buy because it's cheaper than they thought, I would assume they would be willing to look at other ways you can save them money.

Maybe spice up the copy with some testimonials from clients who saved XX$ on their auto insurance by adding a renters policy... many times we're able to offset the entire cost of the HO4 with the multi policy discount on the auto

Not sure what the hot button is with renters..I'm guessing the same as everyone else...saving$$, WIIFM, discounts, etc

I tried doorhangers for renters insurance a few times. Never got a call. Not one. Might be I didn't follow up on the person I paid to put them out, but, in talking with people, my guess is most renters don't care enough.

Here's the thing, you can put doorhangers up for pizza, a certain number of people were going to order pizza anyway, and if there is a good coupon, they may just call you rather than the normal place.

With renters flyers, you don't have a 'call to action', nobody was thinking on the way home - 'Hey, I need to call about renters insurance today'. I'm not sure why, but it doesn't happen. If they see the flyer and think, 'Hey, this is a good idea', they will bring it in, set it down, then forget about it.

Yes, its inexpensive and everyone should have it, but I've seen better luck marketing to the office, rather than to the renters themselves.

Personally, I did a quick calculation on what I make on a renters policy and decided not to spend much time marketing them. I sell a number of them, usually when I write auto, but I cross-sell renters policies to autos, not the other way around.

Dan

I tried doorhangers for renters insurance a few times. Never got a call. Not one. Might be I didn't follow up on the person I paid to put them out, but, in talking with people, my guess is most renters don't care enough.

Here's the thing, you can put doorhangers up for pizza, a certain number of people were going to order pizza anyway, and if there is a good coupon, they may just call you rather than the normal place.

With renters flyers, you don't have a 'call to action', nobody was thinking on the way home - 'Hey, I need to call about renters insurance today'. I'm not sure why, but it doesn't happen. If they see the flyer and think, 'Hey, this is a good idea', they will bring it in, set it down, then forget about it.

Yes, its inexpensive and everyone should have it, but I've seen better luck marketing to the office, rather than to the renters themselves.

Personally, I did a quick calculation on what I make on a renters policy and decided not to spend much time marketing them. I sell a number of them, usually when I write auto, but I cross-sell renters policies to autos, not the other way around.

Dan

Ok, so you think its a better ROI marketing to the office, how do you go about that? Approach business owners offering insurance seminars to their employees? Or a handout for their employees as a newsletter style? I mean obviously target marketing a business and its employees is going to give you better clients but your access is minimized, door hangers offer you great access cause most offices will allow you to market that way. Maybe I should partner with a pizza company in town and offer a coupon for their restaurant with an auto/renters package quote being filled out on my website. Haha, I probably would have filled out a quote to get a discounted Pizza when I was younger. If I use a smaller pizzeria maybe I can get them to do it for free to get free marketing. Also do you HAVE to ask a building manager if you can post something as a door hanger to their tennants?

I believe what djs was suggesting is to market to the rental office. Most rental offices give every tenant a move-in packet. Talk with the rental manager about trying to get into the packet. I believe most landlords, management companies, would prefer that their tenants have renters insurance, so they might be open to the idea if someone isn't already in there. Now, whomever handles their policy may already be there, so it could be tough to get into the packet.

If you do get in, as djs suggested, I'm make sure to mention auto. Most renters are more concerned about their auto coverage than their renter's coverage. Maybe tell them how to get a discount on both?

6 dollars? I'd say its better than that. Depending on your ROI. A bundle of 1000 door hangers would cost me 99 dollars fully designed, full color one side and I have friends who are eager to see me succeed who would gladly help me post them in dangerous fire areas here in town. On a very simple minimal 25,000 dollar policy my commission is around 18.50, which while low would only require about 6 to break even. And if I can get 6 people to switch renters insurance with me I can easily cross sell auto on at least one of them, thus giving me new access to referal networks, word of mouth and getting my branding out there and being known which I believe is key for me at this point (2 months in). Its only one of my ideas, but its a start and should help to keep me busy past my own personal referal network which will start to slow in the next 2 months.

I think going with the auto policy 1st would be easier to market. Everyone wants to save on auto insurance. Maybe headline a doorhanger with "Find Out How To Get "Free" Renters Insurance" Ask me how I can get your auto and renters insurance for the same price as you pay now for just auto insurance.....

they told me 23 years ago that I'd find the door to the garage opens easier...still holds true today

Back