If You Were Starting All Over Again-today Was Day 1 of P&c Agency

infoe

Guru
100+ Post Club
Knowing everything you know now...what would be your top 3 marketing functions? PL is easy and its where I come from but Id really like to do more commercial. Maybe a 60/40 split? I figure at first I can do PL (preferred lines) to get to some businesses but it seems doing PL only brings on more PL...anywho.

I'm thinking

1.Telemarketing (2-3 telemarketers gathering x-dates and setting up appointments for me and my partner

2. Event marketing -hosting our own granding opening...going to meetup.com functions and different networking functions that we can show up at. (I'm probably thinking to general here) and should join more specific or do breakfast drop at more specific type of functions

3. Not sure-maybe a small amount of mailers for branding?

I'm of the mentalitity that these are solid marketing strategies whether their used for PL or for CL...It's just a matter of who you are actually marketing at, I think they could both work. so maybe half of the marketing be for CL and half be for PL?

Re: If You Were Starting All Over Again-today Was Day 1 of P&c Ag

For branding, it may be a good idea to do some social media networking as well (facebook, twitter, etc). I'd also start a blog and website for your agency with a weekly or monthly email newsletter. I'd also consider writing a few 'tips' articles and doing some free press releases to get your agency's name out there as an expert in the field. But, if you are looking to do more commercial then PL at this point, I would focus on the commercial (that's where the bigger commissions are anyway) and then once you get a few clients you can market to them again to sell them personal lines as well and take over all of their insurance needs.

Best of luck!:)

Oh, and as far as event marketing goes...why not set up your own event? Do a 'starting your own business?' or 'buying a home?' event and invite a seasoned real estate agent, lawyer, etc. to come in and each give a spiel about starting a business or buying a home. You, of course, will be the insurance expert at the event and its a win/win for all.

Last edited:
Re: If You Were Starting All Over Again-today Was Day 1 of P&c Ag

Networking groups help probably the most when starting out I think. BNI has been very good to me. Word of Mouth is the best, so I typically ask people if they know someone else that can use my services after I finish writing their policy, surprisingly, I get a great response from that. Internet leads have been good to us too.

Reading the BNI page, makes it sound pretty cool and possibly very helpful. Has anyone noticed leads from other BNI members? I think I will try it, at least for 1 year and see how it goes.

From day 1, PATIENCE, you cant grow this business overnight....

1 thing you have to do is simple, MARKET, I dont care how, what works you me, might not work for you.

oshuld have 5-7 DIFFERENT marketing events on going at all times.

Networking is probly #1
buy onlineleads, you find people who looking, but use it to build your X-date list at the same time.
If your IA, hook up with a few Captive agents, so you can write what they cant,
Mortgage people, realtors and even title company, get off your butt and go out and see these people.
do some direct mail
website, blogs, twitter, facebook pages.

Back