Are Independent Agencies Still Making Money?

You have been lied to. Or those indy owners don't want another person taking their business. However there's plenty to go around.

Just do it, don't listen to those losers.

We get by, but that's after we moved to a bigger house, new car, and a new office with money to spare.

I work for a start-up insurtech company, and I have done a massive amount of research about how tech is going to change the landscape of the industry. I believe the big commercial stuff will be safe for awhile, but the distribution of personal lines insurance and small commercial insurance is going to be disaggregated. Think about how commoditized those lines of business have become.

Google did a great job at it didn't they? Lemonade & Hippo are game changers too. You tech dorks can fight over the same sliver of marketshare of direct consumers....then see if you can make money.

...great at coding & tech but couldn't stand in front of a mortgage or real estate office & do a presentation w/ command presence. I'm not saying it's NOT going to change, but you tech dorks come flying in here like you're going to revolutionize insurance like the shake weight was going to revolutionize fitness.

Decent size commercial accounts never get a quote from google anyway. It's mostly for the small/new venture guys who want the "cheapest policy". You tech guys can have them

Google did a great job at it didn't they? Lemonade & Hippo are game changers too. You tech dorks can fight over the same sliver of marketshare of direct consumers....then see if you can make money.

...great at coding & tech but couldn't stand in front of a mortgage or real estate office & do a presentation w/ command presence. I'm not saying it's NOT going to change, but you tech dorks come flying in here like you're going to revolutionize insurance like the shake weight was going to revolutionize fitness.

Lmao! What this guy said.... but not really, but kinda... well never mind.

Today, I did a presentation in front of a local independent agency association. The platform that my company is developing is designed to help independent agents. We do not want to be another online insurance aggregator, and you are absolutely correct that many tech companies do not understand the industry. All of these online aggregators that keeping popping up on my Facebook feed will soon realize that personal lines insurance does not scale as well is they think. However, the direct channel has been and will be the fastest growing sales channel for insurance.

Back