Indies- Do You Lean Towards- Commerical or Personal Lines?

Italianik

Expert
It seems like agencies go one way or another at a certain point. Besides INS1822 who is very PL heavy does anyone have any thoughts? Which book of yours is bigger? or did you go 50/50....

;)

How do you commercial guys compete against the mammoth agencies who's producers have like literally every single company in the world? I keep getting beautiful accounts & it seems like EVERY GOD DAMN TIME I'm getting beat by some stupid @$$ small mutual company out of mars.

You find the ones who are under insured and not getting max credit. Then you destroy the rate and get them better coverage.

How do you commercial guys compete against the mammoth agencies who's producers have like literally every single company in the world? I keep getting beautiful accounts & it seems like EVERY GOD DAMN TIME I'm getting beat by some stupid @$$ small mutual company out of mars.

Try to really know your competition well in regards to companies the agencies have and those companies specifically. This way you know what you are competing against. It's very important to be able to walk away early if closing looks slim and focus on accounts that have a higher chance of closing. I started commercial from scratch so I learned the hard way. If you have specific questions PM me.

I keep getting referrals for things like, abortion clinic, asbestos, shooting ranges, airport shuttle, taxi and limo. I can't even find anyone to write this stuff. If I do they only want to work with me if I can give them a large commitment.

Heather, do you have access to a large broker? They should have carriers for those risks. Progressive writes taxis and limos. The nice thing about those hard risks is that you shouldn't have many agents going after that business after you place it. While working efficient and picking the low hanging fruit is nice, every agent wants to do that and is figjring for that business. Write hard stuff and keep learning, and push for referrals/warm introductions from those current clients.

Heather, do you have access to a large broker? They should have carriers for those risks. Progressive writes taxis and limos. The nice thing about those hard risks is that you shouldn't have many agents going after that business after you place it. While working efficient and picking the low hanging fruit is nice, every agent wants to do that and is figjring for that business. Write hard stuff and keep learning, and push for referrals/warm introductions from those current clients.

Yes, this is a very good point. The one thing you want to be careful about when using a wholesaler for E & S is know the insured very well. If it is for a policy that is audited you may be stuck with a big bill at the end that you have to collect from the insured. So you want to make sure they can pay.

Back