Over 150.000 insurance professionals and consumers come to the Insurance Forum every month. Click here to register for FREE

Go Back   Insurance Forums > Insurance Agents and Brokers Forum > P&C Insurance Forum

Reply to Indies- Do You Lean Towards- Commerical or Personal Lines?     
Old 10-09-2015, 04:20 PM   #1
Super Genius

State: Italianik is an Insurance Agent from
Indies- Do You Lean Towards- Commerical or Personal Lines? Indies- Do You Lean Towards- Commerical or Personal Lines?
It seems like agencies go one way or another at a certain point. Besides INS1822 who is very PL heavy does anyone have any thoughts? Which book of yours is bigger? or did you go 50/50....

------------------------------------
  Reply With Quote to Indies- Do You Lean Towards- Commerical or Personal Lines?
Old 10-09-2015, 04:25 PM   #2
Guru

State: hesse is an Insurance Agent from Undisclosed Location
Indies- Do You Lean Towards- Commerical or Personal Lines? Re: Indies- Do You Lean Towards- Commerical or Personal Lines?
60-65% commercial here
Old 10-09-2015, 05:12 PM   #3
Super Genius

State: dean8287 is an Insurance Agent from Undisclosed Location
Indies- Do You Lean Towards- Commerical or Personal Lines?
90% Commercial
10% Personal
Old 10-10-2015, 08:26 AM   #4
Guru
insurance1822 on Indies- Do You Lean Towards- Commerical or Personal Lines?

State: insurance1822 is an Insurance Agent from Alabama
insurance1822 is a member of 1000 posts VIP club
Indies- Do You Lean Towards- Commerical or Personal Lines? Re: Indies- Do You Lean Towards- Commerical or Personal Lines?
How do you commercial guys compete against the mammoth agencies who's producers have like literally every single company in the world? I keep getting beautiful accounts & it seems like EVERY GOD DAMN TIME I'm getting beat by some stupid @$$ small mutual company out of mars.

GO INDY OR GO HOME!
Old 10-10-2015, 09:37 AM   #5
Guru

State: Indiana_Adam is an Insurance Agent from Indiana
You find the ones who are under insured and not getting max credit. Then you destroy the rate and get them better coverage.
Old 10-10-2015, 11:08 AM   #6
Super Genius

Originally Posted by insurance1822 View Post
How do you commercial guys compete against the mammoth agencies who's producers have like literally every single company in the world? I keep getting beautiful accounts & it seems like EVERY GOD DAMN TIME I'm getting beat by some stupid @$$ small mutual company out of mars.
Try to really know your competition well in regards to companies the agencies have and those companies specifically. This way you know what you are competing against. It's very important to be able to walk away early if closing looks slim and focus on accounts that have a higher chance of closing. I started commercial from scratch so I learned the hard way. If you have specific questions PM me.
Old 10-10-2015, 04:48 PM   #7
Guru

State: Heather is an Insurance Agent from New York
I keep getting referrals for things like, abortion clinic, asbestos, shooting ranges, airport shuttle, taxi and limo. I can't even find anyone to write this stuff. If I do they only want to work with me if I can give them a large commitment.
Old 10-10-2015, 07:26 PM   #8
Guru

Heather, do you have access to a large broker? They should have carriers for those risks. Progressive writes taxis and limos. The nice thing about those hard risks is that you shouldn't have many agents going after that business after you place it. While working efficient and picking the low hanging fruit is nice, every agent wants to do that and is figjring for that business. Write hard stuff and keep learning, and push for referrals/warm introductions from those current clients.
Old 10-10-2015, 07:33 PM   #9
Super Genius

Originally Posted by Indiana_Adam View Post
Heather, do you have access to a large broker? They should have carriers for those risks. Progressive writes taxis and limos. The nice thing about those hard risks is that you shouldn't have many agents going after that business after you place it. While working efficient and picking the low hanging fruit is nice, every agent wants to do that and is figjring for that business. Write hard stuff and keep learning, and push for referrals/warm introductions from those current clients.
Yes, this is a very good point. The one thing you want to be careful about when using a wholesaler for E & S is know the insured very well. If it is for a policy that is audited you may be stuck with a big bill at the end that you have to collect from the insured. So you want to make sure they can pay.
Old 10-11-2015, 01:53 PM   #10
Guru

If the broker account doesn't direct bill and they can't pay in full. Make them use a premium finance company.
Reply to Indies- Do You Lean Towards- Commerical or Personal Lines? 

Insurance Agent Forum > Insurance Forums > Insurance Agents and Brokers Forum > P&C Insurance Forum

Tags
personal lines