Over 150.000 insurance professionals and consumers come to the Insurance Forum every month. Click here to register for FREE

Go Back   Insurance Forums > Insurance Agents and Brokers Forum > P&C Insurance Forum

Reply to Input Needed from P&C Agents     
Old 07-20-2017, 05:02 PM   #1

State: JayOde is an Insurance Agent from
Input Needed from P&C Agents Input Needed from P&C Agents
Hey Guys,

I have an idea for a business model that I wanted to share with you for your input:

The idea is to offer complimentary logo design/branding to any small/medium business for free.

In exchange, they would agree to turn whatever insurance their kind of business needs/has to me.

I would give that referral to a local agent, and we would share in any ongoing commissions/renewal revenue...however that needs to work in each state based on their rules&regs for sharing insurance commissions.

What do you think? Stupid idea?...maybe it could work? Etc.

Thanks for your help!

Jay
------------------------------------
  Reply With Quote to Input Needed from P&C Agents
Old 07-20-2017, 05:50 PM   #2
Super Genius
adjusterjack on Input Needed from P&C Agents

State: adjusterjack is an Insurance Agent from Arizona
Input Needed from P&C Agents Re: Input Needed from P&C Agents
I wouldn't say it's stupid or couldn't work. That's what people said to the Wright Brothers and their idea managed to get off the ground (pun in tended).

Unfortunately, there are some serious hurdles to overcome.

1 - You would have to be a licensed agent before you could be paid any money for your referral. Call it commissions, kickback, finders fee, whatever, I'm pretty sure a license would be required in every US state.

2 - You would have no control over what any insurance company would charge for the insurance even if you were licensed and dealing direct with your own carriers. There isn't likely to be any agreement by the customer for this deal without having his insurance quoted first. Without that agreement up front, your potential customer could just take the quote to his own agent for comparison.

3 - How much is your logo design worth? $100? $200? I'm guessing a logo design could be easily obtained at a reasonable cost just about anywhere without a business throwing it's insurance into the mix.
Old 07-20-2017, 05:58 PM   #3

State: JayOde is an Insurance Agent from
Input Needed from P&C Agents Re: Input Needed from P&C Agents JayOde is the thread starter for: Input Needed from P&C Agents

Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
I wouldn't say it's stupid or couldn't work. That's what people said to the Wright Brothers and their idea managed to get off the ground (pun in tended).

Unfortunately, there are some serious hurdles to overcome.

1 - You would have to be a licensed agent before you could be paid any money for your referral. Call it commissions, kickback, finders fee, whatever, I'm pretty sure a license would be required in every US state.

2 - You would have no control over what any insurance company would charge for the insurance even if you were licensed and dealing direct with your own carriers. There isn't likely to be any agreement by the customer for this deal without having his insurance quoted first. Without that agreement up front, your potential customer could just take the quote to his own agent for comparison.

3 - How much is your logo design worth? $100? $200? I'm guessing a logo design could be easily obtained at a reasonable cost just about anywhere without a business throwing it's insurance into the mix.
Thanks so much for the input I appreciate it!
Reply to Input Needed from P&C Agents 

Insurance Agent Forum > Insurance Forums > Insurance Agents and Brokers Forum > P&C Insurance Forum