Insured's (Comm/PL)---Name Some of the Tricks They Pull?

I have learned that any commercial prospect that calls me out of the blue (not a referral or current PL client, etc.) will absolutely give me false answers to app questions. My personal fave from a couple months ago... Small one man operation with 35k in annual revenue? Your wrapped box truck I passed by the other day and website with employee directory says otherwise.

I have learned that any commercial prospect that calls me out of the blue (not a referral or current PL client, etc.) will absolutely give me false answers to app questions. My personal fave from a couple months ago... Small one man operation with 35k in annual revenue? Your wrapped box truck I passed by the other day and website with employee directory says otherwise.

When i started to work in insurance my boss told me "anyone that calls you out of the blue, (without someone referring them) is a bad prospect".

Ten year later i can count 1 account that has found me with out a referral and has been worth a damn.

Very true. I have one better. Random phone call looking for a BOP on a deli. Sell him the policy. The following week he puts in a claim. The deli caught fire. Long story short there was video footage of the deli owner running out of the deli with a gas can. 3 years ago and the claim is still going.

Decent sized plumber account that is a serial shopper. No agent keeps it more than 2 years running. A real pain in the neck account which I really wish we didn't even have but somehow keep winding up with off and on over last decade. Anyways, a week ago they cause a huge pileup on interstate and a tractor trailer burns up; several people hurt. That evening they send an email request for their loss runs. Of course this accident is all over the news and we see it. Next day sometime after lunch they finally get around to reporting the claim.

Dude wanted the loss runs before that claim showed up with a big reserve so he can save a few pennies this year when it renews in July.

Decent sized plumber account that is a serial shopper. No agent keeps it more than 2 years running. A real pain in the neck account which I really wish we didn't even have but somehow keep winding up with off and on over last decade. Anyways, a week ago they cause a huge pileup on interstate and a tractor trailer burns up; several people hurt. That evening they send an email request for their loss runs. Of course this accident is all over the news and we see it. Next day sometime after lunch they finally get around to reporting the claim.

Dude wanted the loss runs before that claim showed up with a big reserve so he can save a few pennies this year when it renews in July.

Why did you even rewrite it? I could maybe see the second time came back to the agency, but after that? Just show him the door.

Why did you even rewrite it? I could maybe see the second time came back to the agency, but after that? Just show him the door.

Ya know, fair question. They called one of our agents and we quoted it with one company and presented it. Didn't even market it aggressively or put all that much into it. Came in about 70k and they took it. Sometimes they hit when you don't even care if they do or not.

Back