Job Offer, Commission Split Question

whiterussiansp

So a friend of mine is pretty high up in a large agency in New England and he's offered me a position as a producer. They have recently gone through a merger and are looking to expand their sales presence through "online" agents such as myself; they do not appear to currently have a solid on-boarding process for this.

I'm a life/health agent looking to work the other 9 months of the year by expanding into P/C. The agency is local to me and as a large now national (merger) agency, they have access to great contracts and pretty much every carrier.

The draft contract they gave me was a 1 year referral deal that they've used in the past for B2B referrals that offered a 35/35 commission split. I'm told there will also be profit-sharing bonus potential depending on performance etc, but this isn't present on their agreement in any form.

My role at the agency will be sales only. I'll be providing all of my own leads and infrastructure and either utilizing their quoter staff or their rater software. They will own the business and handle all servicing. I'll pretty much be a 1099 affiliate, straight commission, purchasing my own E/O, working from home, etc.

Considering they're willing to pay 35/35 for a straight here's the name referral, I asked if there was any flexibility on the 35/35 and was told there was and was asked what do I have in mind? I've spent most of the morning searching and reading and think fair is somewhere between what they're offering and 50/50.

What should I ask for and be willing to settle for? This is a 1-yr agreement and could be renegotiated next year. Any thoughts or input would be appreciated, thanks!

Back