Let's Hear About Your Whale

You nailed it. That is my story. I was a bearded sea Hippy and the sea looked dark and moist....The eye of the beast was upon me.....

No Still too difficult... its too soon!

Impressive!
Mind sharing how you landed some of those whales.

Cold Calling ? Referrals?

There is no secrete weapon for marketing. It's more of a multi prong war of attrition. Have your hand in everything.

1) Solar contractor. I've insured them since the beginning. I've grown as they have. If I recall it was an internet lead 10 years ago.
2) Carpentry Contractor. I had a good relationship with a secretary at a smaller business. She left there and went to a bigger contractor and gave me a stab at their insurance. I got it.
3) Medical equipment. Internet lead.
4) Comm contractor. Referral from another large happy customer.
5) Home builder. Referral from another happy customer.
6) Furniture mfg. Friend I met through a social club.

I can say the one thing I get some quality leads from are social organizations. Mainly private clubs I am a member of and active in. Think high end because that is where the business owners are. Yacht clubs, golf clubs, tennis clubs, car clubs...etc.

Let's get this thread going again.

My kills this month:

Framing Contractor: GL/Umbrella $28,000 in commission
Elevator contractor: GL, $4,000 in commission
Maintenance Contractor: GL/Umbrella, $11,000 in commission
Home Builder: GL/Umbrella, $2,500 in commission
Car Collection (Buggati/Lambo): $2,900 in commission
Fireplace Installer: $1,300 in commission

Last edited:
Saweet! Great to be reminded why we are in this business, and that there is a lot of business out there to get.

I've had a decent month, around $50k in contractor new bus premium, and this is by far the best year I have ever had in this business.

But with the growing contractor gl book, I now find myself spending soo much time reviewing the indemnification sections, coi oversight, and my selling time is going down.

Arnage, do you as well? or do you have super account manager for that bs?

Dave

Who do you write the majority of your contractors with? Acuity really wants contractors but im up north

^^For me, Acuity is my #1 go to, but very picky - sounds like you know! One needs many markets to place contractors with, and need to have the best fit for each risk. CBIC, BIS, Main Street America and Secura for other direct writers, and a great mga that deals with contractor gl for non admitted stuff.

Dave

Saweet! Great to be reminded why we are in this business, and that there is a lot of business out there to get.

I've had a decent month, around $50k in contractor new bus premium, and this is by far the best year I have ever had in this business.

But with the growing contractor gl book, I now find myself spending soo much time reviewing the indemnification sections, coi oversight, and my selling time is going down.

Arnage, do you as well? or do you have super account manager for that bs?

Dave

Believe it or not I still do a lot of it. At least for all my larger contractors. I want to make sure its done correctly.
At our annual meeting I have them present to me all sub certificates. I review and tell them which ones are ****. When I bind any contractor new business I give them an indemnification agreement to use going fwd. I try to put the fear of god in them to use them but some do and some don't. I can only do so much. I can say from experience risk transfer works when done properly.

I have CSRs handle a lot of the basic service work. I do not employ any account managers. I have a few sales people and trained them to do a lot of the maintenance and rating.
I guess I run my agency a little differently than most. I know this system would not hold up on a large scale but for what I do it works fine.

I enjoy working on middle market accounts so that it what I focus on. If I get a referral on a smaller account I just give it to one of my sales people.

Always enjoy this thread. Some of the risks on here are chuckle-worthy in their nature but obviously they are paying good! Good work to all you guys and gals.

A few from last two months for me (in premium dollars):

Large group of C-Stores (Prop. & GL): $78,000
Sawmill (WC): $40,000
Sawmill (WC): $36,000
Sawmill (GL, Auto, WC): $21,000
Ice Cream Distributor (GL, Auto, WC): $20,000
Petroleum Transporter (Auto, GL): $19,000

Some in the works for December are: Recycler (Prop.,GL, Auto, IM) $104,000... Three sawmills (WC) all ranging between $30,000-$50,000 and one sawmill (WC, Prop., Auto, GL) at $110,000... Supermarket (WC) at $25,000.

Nice work!

Mine are not as impressive but good for my small two personal agency.

Exotic Car Dealership - $14,500 (Liability, Comp, Bond).
NYC Rooftop Gardener - $23,500 (Liability, Commercial Auto, Umbrella)

Both are only premium but after getting a taste for the bigger stuff I may start focusing on it as well.

What is your biggest source for finding these, leads, referrals, etc?

Back