Michigan Motorcycle Insurance: Difference Between Medical Benefits and Medical Payments?

in regards to the new helmet law, I just got an email about it today....

to ride without a helmet, insured needs 20K of medical BENEFITS coverage.

medical PAYMENTS coverage does NOT satisfy the new law requirements.

also keep in mind:
-Coverage extends to the named insured and resident spouse and relatives.
-Coverage does NOT extend to non-resident relatives or non-relative riders.

In Michigan, for Michigan Motorcycle Insurance. I have been told by a progressive agent that my policy that has medical coverage increase to $20,000 does not conform to Michigan Insurance Commission requirements, as it contains the payments IF CLAIM FILED within 3 years of accident date..........It MUST not have a claim date limit on it, they tell me.

This comes from their legal department after communications with the Michigan Insurance Commission.

I have been totally unable to verify any of this information...All I know is the rate went from $82.00 to $144.00 per year...

What is the requirement here? the Medical Payments or Medical Coverage? Is there a requirement for Michigan Insurance that there be no limit on the time of claim or payment.??
Please define this..:goofy:

that's exactly right yupper. because of the 3 yr time limit, medical PAYMENTS coverage DOES NOT work, you have to have medical BENEFITS coverage instead to satisfy the no helmet law.

and as mentioned earlier, the only difference between two is the 3 yr time limit. but that little difference seems to make a big difference in premium.

to be honest, your going from $82 up to $144 has been minimal compared to the differences I've seen between the two coverages.

I know a lot of this sounds confusing. it's because Michigan has the whackiest motorcycle insurance laws in the land! NY may be the king of whacky insurance laws, but they don't have anything on MI, as far as motorcycle insurance goes.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back