Nationwide Smart Ride

pfg1

Guru
1000 Post Club
This is apparently their version of Progressive's Snapshot.
Anyone have any experience with this? Pro's / Con's?

I called Nat yesterday to add a vehicle on, and make a change to one of my others... they suggested I could "possibly" save up to 30% by using this gadget for a time period (4-6 mos I think)?

I wanted to check with P&C guys to see if there are any drawbacks to using it. I am a good driver, so on that side I'm not concerned.

This is apparently their version of Progressive's Snapshot. Anyone have any experience with this? Pro's / Con's? I called Nat yesterday to add a vehicle on, and make a change to one of my others... they suggested I could "possibly" save up to 30% by using this gadget for a time period (4-6 mos I think)? I wanted to check with P&C guys to see if there are any drawbacks to using it. I am a good driver, so on that side I'm not concerned.

This is pretty common now. Carriers like Progressive, Nationwide, and Liberty Mutual have this.

Usually there is no down side meaning they can't raise your rates due to this device finding out you are a bad driver. Only upside meaning a discount if you qualify.

Some people think it's invasive but that's up to you and your agent to talk about.

Hope this helps.

This is pretty common now. Carriers like Progressive, Nationwide, and Liberty Mutual have this.

Usually there is no down side meaning they can't raise your rates due to this device finding out you are a bad driver. Only upside meaning a discount if you qualify.

Some people think it's invasive but that's up to you and your agent to talk about.

Hope this helps.

They are starting to surcharge bad drivers now:

"Progressive is going to levy a surcharge on drivers they deem “bad” or aggressive via their Snapshot device. In Progressive’s annual report, the company shared these plans: “In recent years, we have employed a ‘discount only’ model for usage-based rating. In our latest model, introduced in one state in December 2014, we are affording more customers discounts for their good driving behavior, while offsetting with surcharges for a small segment of drivers.” Uh oh!"

Progressive Adds "Bad Driver" Surveillance To Snapshot Telematics - Forbes

They are starting to surcharge bad drivers now: "Progressive is going to levy a surcharge on drivers they deem “bad” or aggressive via their Snapshot device. In Progressive’s annual report, the company shared these plans: “In recent years, we have employed a ‘discount only’ model for usage-based rating. In our latest model, introduced in one state in December 2014, we are affording more customers discounts for their good driving behavior, while offsetting with surcharges for a small segment of drivers.” Uh oh!" Progressive Adds "Bad Driver" Surveillance To Snapshot Telematics - Forbes

Good to note, thanks!

In not surprised with Progressive but I don't think the preferred carriers will pull that.

Good to note, thanks!

In not surprised with Progressive but I don't think the preferred carriers will pull that.

This is exactly why some have been reluctant to use it. Progressive just played right into their hand.

I'm not a fan of any type of "big brother" involvement, but I think I'll try it out for 6 mos and hopefully get a discount.

Worst that happens is that you save nothing. You can see your progress on their website after a month. Make sure you return the device when they ask for it or they will charge you $50.

Last edited:
Worst that happens is that you save nothing. You can see your progress on their website after a month. Make sure you return the device when they ask for it or they will charge you $50.

Good to know, thanks.

----------

Nationwide does offer a slight discount immediately, unlike progressive.

Yep, that is why I said I'd try it out.

Back