Need Markets to Cover Chicken Houses

jdcrook

Hello,

I am a broker in the state of Missouri. I have a couple of customers that are chicken growers for Tyson Foods. I am looking for property coverage for their chicken houses. Tyson covers the Liability of the chickens. They are currently with Fireman's Fund and the rates continually go up, so we are looking to shop around and see what we come up with. I have called around to several companies and I am not having much luck finding any markets that provide this type of coverage. So, I though I would try here and see if anyone might have some advice on potential companies they have used that might help me out. Will be needing $3-5 million in property coverage.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Hello,

I am a broker in the state of Missouri. I have a couple of customers that are chicken growers for Tyson Foods. I am looking for property coverage for their chicken houses. Tyson covers the Liability of the chickens. They are currently with Fireman's Fund and the rates continually go up, so we are looking to shop around and see what we come up with. I have called around to several companies and I am not having much luck finding any markets that provide this type of coverage. So, I though I would try here and see if anyone might have some advice on potential companies they have used that might help me out. Will be needing $3-5 million in property coverage.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Nationwide Ag is good for those risks, as you already stated, Firemen's Fund is good as well. Travelers might have a market as I know they write some farm.

NWAG and FF are our big farm carriers and we are in about as rural Iowa as you can get!

I would doubt the county mutuals would want that risk, but it is an option to look into.

**Edited - Grinnell Mutual, IMT..

Nationwide Ag is good for those risks, as you already stated, Firemen's Fund is good as well. Travelers might have a market as I know they write some farm.

NWAG and FF are our big farm carriers and we are in about as rural Iowa as you can get!

I would doubt the county mutuals would want that risk, but it is an option to look into.

**Edited - Grinnell Mutual, IMT..

Thanks for the Reply Herkster. I have tried Travelers and chicken houses are not a market they are in. As for NationWide, I would need to find an MGA that had them. There is already another Nationwide agency in the town I'm in so I would be blocked on that side.

Thanks for the Reply Herkster. I have tried Travelers and chicken houses are not a market they are in. As for NationWide, I would need to find an MGA that had them. There is already another Nationwide agency in the town I'm in so I would be blocked on that side.

Yeah, that makes it awfully tough then. My suggestion would have been FF or NWAG, but, as you said, it's already with FF and NWAG isn't an option.

I did some thinking and for the life of me, I cannot thing of any other real farm market. Farm Bureau maybe, but they are an exclusive/captive agency, so that would be hard to get as well. Besides that, I'm out of answers. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Wait...Farmers Mutual Hail, which is typically a crop insurance company, now has a P&C line. I'm not sure how to access them and I'm not sure what risks are in their scope of business.

Thanks again, I checked in to Farmers Mutual Hail and they do not offer coverage in MO. I appreciate you taking the to offer some suggestions.

Have a good day.

We do a lot of poultry farms here in TN. I use Nationwide Ag. It is a market that a lot of carriers have pulled away from in the past 5 years. Westfield had a program for them but not sure if they are writing new business for poultry. Also, FCCI Ag has a market and a newer one I just heard about is Everett Cash Mutual. Berkshire also is writing the property but no liability. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Thank You for your post jlanier. Westfield and Everett Cash do not write in MO and FCCI is not longer writing chicken houses. So, the search continues.

Did you ever find a market for poultry in MO? I realize that was a few years ago since last post? Thought I would take a long shot and ask anyway!

Back