Over 150.000 insurance professionals and consumers come to the Insurance Forum every month. Click here to register for FREE

Go Back   Insurance Forums > Insurance Agents and Brokers Forum > P&C Insurance Forum

Reply to Need Some Guidence     
Old 08-22-2017, 11:21 AM   #1
HDR

State: HDR is an Insurance Agent from
Need Some Guidence Need Some Guidence
I just received my Florida P&C license. My goal is to have my own agency but I thought I should work for an Indy for a couple years to gain experience first. My understanding is it is difficult to get appointments without experience.

I have a friend that is a one man Indy shop. He has been very supportive and helpful with me getting my license. I have thought about approaching him and seeing if I could work for him and we create an agreement that would allow me to retain the bob I create. Obviously compensating him on every policy I write.

Since he is a one man shop I would be willing to pay for the expenses he would incur by bringing me into his business.

What things should I consider as well as ask him with an arrangement like this?

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can provide.
------------------------------------
  Reply With Quote to Need Some Guidence
Old 08-22-2017, 01:08 PM   #2
Super Genius
adjusterjack on Need Some Guidence

State: adjusterjack is an Insurance Agent from Arizona
Need Some Guidence Re: Need Some Guidence
Originally Posted by HDR View Post

What things should I consider as well as ask him with an arrangement like this?
In the abstract there may be hundreds of things to consider.

I suggest you ask him if he wants to invite you into his business.

Then find out what HE wants.

Then come back to this thread and discuss those points and how you feel about them.

Make sense?
Old 08-23-2017, 11:20 AM   #3
Guru

State: PhilL is an Insurance Agent from Florida
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
In the abstract there may be hundreds of things to consider.

I suggest you ask him if he wants to invite you into his business.

Then find out what HE wants.

Then come back to this thread and discuss those points and how you feel about them.

Make sense?
Solid advice from adjusterjack. It is always proper to know what the other party has in mind before laying-out all of your cards. Don't give away too much too soon. Have an initial discussion with him and look for other agencies at the same time. Most are looking for good agents who can sell.

Also, you are wise to consider working for an established agency, although this Gentleman sounds like a one-man operation. Too many newly licensed P&C agents try to jump into the fire by wanting to open their own agencies, without experience. Some can do it but most struggle. You are wise to try to work for an established agency. All the best to you!

Phil Tuccy
http://www.insurancegroupconsulting.com/
Always providing free services to agts seeking Networks, Groups & Alliances
Old 08-23-2017, 01:46 PM   #4
HDR

State: HDR is an Insurance Agent from
Need Some Guidence Re: Need Some Guidence HDR is the thread starter for: Need Some Guidence

Thank you PhilL I will do that! :-)

----------

Originally Posted by PhilL View Post
Solid advice from adjusterjack. It is always proper to know what the other party has in mind before laying-out all of your cards. Don't give away too much too soon. Have an initial discussion with him and look for other agencies at the same time. Most are looking for good agents who can sell.

Also, you are wise to consider working for an established agency, although this Gentleman sounds like a one-man operation. Too many newly licensed P&C agents try to jump into the fire by wanting to open their own agencies, without experience. Some can do it but most struggle. You are wise to try to work for an established agency. All the best to you!
PhilL do you think looking into a P&C Aggregator or Cluster Alliance would be beneficial to do?
Old 08-23-2017, 04:05 PM   #5
Guru
shawnmwalker on Need Some Guidence

State: shawnmwalker is an Insurance Agent from Undisclosed Location
Phil is spot on in his advise 100% of the time. Check the man out!
Old 08-24-2017, 09:43 AM   #6
Guru

State: PhilL is an Insurance Agent from Florida
HDR, Re: "PhilL do you think looking into a P&C Aggregator or Cluster Alliance would be beneficial to do?"
I just sent you a private message.
Old 08-24-2017, 02:23 PM   #7
Guru

State: Arnage150 is an Insurance Agent from Undisclosed Location
I wouldn't work for a one man shop. He probably has limited carriers, which means you close less.
Fine a medium sized shop and get a job. Just make sure you own your book.
Old 08-30-2017, 06:06 PM   #8
JWP

State: JWP is an Insurance Agent from
Originally Posted by Arnage150 View Post
I wouldn't work for a one man shop. He probably has limited carriers, which means you close less.
Fine a medium sized shop and get a job. Just make sure you own your book.
I'd be surprised if he found a medium sized independent that would let him keep his book. What would that agency gain?
Old 08-31-2017, 08:34 AM   #9
Guru

State: Arnage150 is an Insurance Agent from Undisclosed Location
Originally Posted by JWP View Post
I'd be surprised if he found a medium sized independent that would let him keep his book. What would that agency gain?
Usually they will work out a multiplier of the book for a buy out if you want to leave. Most people that leave can't bring their whole book (as they can't get appointed by all carriers). So the agency still wins. I've seen large agencies ask brokers 2X commission on any clients/books they want to take. As long as its negotiated in the contract prior to employment and everyone is on the same page. No issues.
Reply to Need Some Guidence 

Insurance Agent Forum > Insurance Forums > Insurance Agents and Brokers Forum > P&C Insurance Forum