Never Filed a DOI Complaint Until...

MrGolf

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
... until today... So a CSR takes a call from a commercial client today who inquires if we have anything alternate for his 11/29 renewal. Client goes on to state that one of my ex-agents has contacted them and said they can get them a better policy. CSR takes the message and says someone will be in contact with him and his renewal within the next few days to make sure it is the best offer we have.

Fast forward to this afternoon when I receive the message. I immediately think something isn't right here. The ex-agent left the insurance industry to go back to school. Check the DOI and they have no agency affiliation. There's problem 1. Go on to call the DOI to file a complaint and they tell me that in fact the ex-agent's license is inactive on top of no affiliation.

Needless to say I wasn't going to let someone who used to work for me be out trying to raid my book when they aren't even licensed. Ex-agent has hooked up with another agent in town as a part time gig and is trying to make a few bucks on the side. Fair enough, but she better try to do it the right way. Not this renegade method.

Huh? What did you file the complaint as? No license required to do some marketing for an agent, doesn't sound like anything more then that occurred.

Why do you consider this 'renegade'? Now, if they took a copy of your client list, I get it (DOI won't enforce this though) and then you would have to show they were using your client list, not a general readily available business list and even then, it would be hard to do much with it.

Take a step back, take a deep breath, go work with your client, don't worry about a school person making a few bucks.

Dan

Huh? What did you file the complaint as? No license required to do some marketing for an agent, doesn't sound like anything more then that occurred.

Why do you consider this 'renegade'? Now, if they took a copy of your client list, I get it (DOI won't enforce this though) and then you would have to show they were using your client list, not a general readily available business list and even then, it would be hard to do much with it.

Take a step back, take a deep breath, go work with your client, don't worry about a school person making a few bucks.

Dan

Soliciting business with no active agency affiliation... Providing quote for coverage with no active property and casualty license... Both violations according to Kentucky Dept. of Insurance regulations.

Soliciting business with no active agency affiliation... Providing quote for coverage with no active property and casualty license... Both violations according to Kentucky Dept. of Insurance regulations.

Are you saying a telemarketer requires a license in KY? Or did your previous agent actually provide a quote to the person? Seems like a lot of heresy for a message you got from your csr from a client.

I'm not defending people doing unlicensed things. I just think your time is better spent working with your client rather then worrying about an ex-employee. The DOI isn't going to 'fix' this for you though they will make the ex-employee answer a few questions. Focus on what you can fix, which is your client.

Dan

Dan's right

...DOI won't do much unless you can "prove" she's getting paid to give a quote or a commission. Can you prove any of this?

I mean, you can start an investigation, and "maybe" the DOI will give them a call? (might scare them....but if they ain't doing nothing wrong, its a waste of time).

Ya send C & D immediately. I'd also stir up the DOI just to exacerbate the problem & I'd also send C&D to the agency they're partnering with.

You must protect your livelihood & destroy anybody who threatens it.

Do you not have Non-compete/Non-piracy contracts for producers and account managers/CSR's in KY??

I have seen them fought successfully (I have worked in OH and KY) but at least it's something.

Ya send C & D immediately. I'd also stir up the DOI just to exacerbate the problem & I'd also send C&D to the agency they're partnering with.

You must protect your livelihood & destroy anybody who threatens it.

C & D what???? Hang up that phone now and don't pick it up again. Do NOT look in the yellow pages for businesses. Seriously? If I got that letter, I'd send you back one, C&D the C&D letters.

If they are targeting a stolen client list, okay, I get it. Nobody has said that at all, just that one client was marketed to.

How long ago did the employee leave? You can't block him from having a job in a competing agency so there will be some crossing of paths. Goes with the territory. If he left just a couple of months ago AND you can show he is targeting your clients specifically (i.e., using a stolen client list), you might have something to stand on, but this hasn't been mentioned, sounds like it was a single client that somehow knew this guy used to work for you. Why did the client mention this? He's trying to squeeze you for a better deal.

Dan

C & D what???? Hang up that phone now and don't pick it up again. Do NOT look in the yellow pages for businesses. Seriously? If I got that letter, I'd send you back one, C&D the C&D letters. If they are targeting a stolen client list, okay, I get it. Nobody has said that at all, just that one client was marketed to. How long ago did the employee leave? You can't block him from having a job in a competing agency so there will be some crossing of paths. Goes with the territory. If he left just a couple of months ago AND you can show he is targeting your clients specifically (i.e., using a stolen client list), you might have something to stand on, but this hasn't been mentioned, sounds like it was a single client that somehow knew this guy used to work for you. Why did the client mention this? He's trying to squeeze you for a better deal. Dan
Dan makes a good point. I think your valuable time is better off doing something more meaningful. if its your client then he has no reason for leaving you for no reason.

Back