New to Industry-quick Question

ACE92106

Hello - anyone know if an agency can get appointed by carriers or are appointments only provided to individual agents?

Thank you.

To me, this sounds like one of those loaded questions. You ask the question a specific way to try to get the answer you want rather then asking the question you really wanted to ask.

What is it you are trying to accomplish? If the answer is both the agency and the agents need to be appointed, does this cause a problem for you?

If your question is that you lost your appointment with a carrier and you want to write through an agency appointment rather then a direct appointment, then it can work, but you may never see any $$$ for writing it. You will not be the agent of record and will not have any binding authority. A lot of MGA's work this way and it isn't a very effective way for an agent to work for their core business.

Dan

Hi Dan - sorry - it wasn't meant to be a loaded question. The company that I'm consulting for is a general agency focusing mainly on P&C. The carrier appointments are with their currently Director who has been with the company for a decade. The concern is if she ever decides to leave, then the appointments leave with her, so the agency is trying to do some succession planning. It sounds like dual appointment is a possibility.

I thank you for you reply.

Back