Over 150.000 insurance professionals and consumers come to the Insurance Forum every month. Click here to register for FREE

Go Back   Insurance Forums > Insurance Agents and Brokers Forum > P&C Insurance Forum

Reply to No Joke - I Need Homeowners Insurance     
Old 09-07-2017, 09:16 PM   #11
Super Genius
adjusterjack on No Joke - I Need Homeowners Insurance

State: adjusterjack is an Insurance Agent from Arizona
No Joke - I Need Homeowners Insurance Re: No Joke - I Need Homeowners Insurance
Looks like Irma will reach my ex-wife's house by Sunday afternoon. LOL.

(I'm evil.)
------------------------------------
  Reply With Quote to No Joke - I Need Homeowners Insurance
Old 09-13-2017, 06:51 AM   #12
Guru

State: pfg1 is an Insurance Agent from Virginia
pfg1 is a member of 1000 posts VIP club
Hope you made out ok... I have family in that area, didn't turn out to be near what they were expecting.

Better get that insurance asap!
Old 09-13-2017, 07:58 AM   #13
Super Genius
BADTROUT on No Joke - I Need Homeowners Insurance

State: BADTROUT is an Insurance Agent from Colorado
Good news is you will be one of only a few with a clean CLUE report.
Old 09-15-2017, 11:28 AM   #14

State: Seevee is an Insurance Agent from Florida
Originally Posted by TampaHound View Post
Well at the time I bought the home in cash since I didn't want a mortgage (I bought the house in my late 40's and could not see paying on it till my late 60's early 70's).

That in turn ate up my savings. Which meant money was tight and I needed to do some home improvements as well (new roof, gutters, a small foundation issue that was an easy fix). So far I've been lucky and I know it. I'm more in the center of the state and in the higher elevations (I'm 235 feet about sea level).

Homeowners was just something that kept getting put on the back burner and yea I'm a dumbass.

So, lets hope and pray a little longer that this storm continues to bend eastward.
John,
I could argue strongly against insurance at this point, but there's an argument to save a bit for a rainy day just in case. You've probably saved tens of thousands in premiums over the years and done well.

Look at the biggest risks that you face with your house (it's not hurricane damage), and protect for that. Wind and fire are much more common. So spend

And 235 ft in Tampa? Very unlikely, but you could be at 30 which is high enough.
Old 09-15-2017, 04:21 PM   #15
Guru

State: leevena is an Insurance Agent from Undisclosed Location
leevena is a member of 1000 posts VIP club
No Joke - I Need Homeowners Insurance
My vote is that this post is bogus. Cannot say why, just a gut feeling, but too many things sound wrong. Enough money to pay cash, but cannot afford insurance? (Can you say home equity loan.) His elevation for central florida seems high. The title and timing of the post. I don't know, just seems funny.
Old 09-18-2017, 05:58 AM   #16

State: CaptureMotion is an Insurance Agent from
Well Tampabound, What happen? Did everything work out for you? Or are you floating away?
Old 09-18-2017, 10:19 PM   #17
chaseman on No Joke - I Need Homeowners Insurance

State: chaseman is an Insurance Agent from Tennessee
When I lived in Florida and sold P & C there, I would get calls occasionally from someone in a similar situation. All I could do is sell Citizen's (the state operated insurance company). Because of no prior, the rates were very high, and there was a 30 day waiting period before coverage actually kicked in.
Old 09-19-2017, 09:36 AM   #18
Super Genius
Rick Deckard on No Joke - I Need Homeowners Insurance

State: Rick Deckard is an Insurance Agent from
Greetings Everyone,

Was going to fire up a Florida thread over Irma BUT so many people in Houston suffered, seemed selfish. That said the landscape will change here.

-Homeowner's Insurance in 2018 will see a big hike, it already was up 10-15% across the board this year, seems likely it will trend higher for the foreseeable future after a steady decline over the last 5-10 years.

-Despite a Cat 5 on the doorsteps, the Keys could have been hit even harder and Key West was not obliterated off the map. I have stayed in the Lower Keys many times, yeah those with Air BnBs are out of business for a while. I would like to see what is left of Bahia Honda, Keys Fisheries around MM20, it's all kinds of terrible I'm sure.

-Naples and Marco Island will suffer but I can tell you many folks don't shed a tear over some of the stuff they have done to Marco Island the last many years, they ruined a lot of it by building it up. Just my take from speaking with the locals.
Old 09-19-2017, 02:56 PM   #19
Guru
TampaHound on No Joke - I Need Homeowners Insurance

State: TampaHound is an Insurance Agent from Florida
No Joke - I Need Homeowners Insurance Re: No Joke - I Need Homeowners Insurance TampaHound is the thread starter for: No Joke - I Need Homeowners Insurance

Originally Posted by Seevee View Post
John,
I could argue strongly against insurance at this point, but there's an argument to save a bit for a rainy day just in case. You've probably saved tens of thousands in premiums over the years and done well.

Look at the biggest risks that you face with your house (it's not hurricane damage), and protect for that. Wind and fire are much more common. So spend

And 235 ft in Tampa? Very unlikely, but you could be at 30 which is high enough.
Technically I live in Zephyrhills, about a hour North/Northwest of the city. I live off of the Le Heup hill. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...highest_points
Reply to No Joke - I Need Homeowners Insurance 

Insurance Agent Forum > Insurance Forums > Insurance Agents and Brokers Forum > P&C Insurance Forum