No Joke - I Need Homeowners Insurance

Hope you made out ok... I have family in that area, didn't turn out to be near what they were expecting.

Better get that insurance asap!

Well at the time I bought the home in cash since I didn't want a mortgage (I bought the house in my late 40's and could not see paying on it till my late 60's early 70's).

That in turn ate up my savings. Which meant money was tight and I needed to do some home improvements as well (new roof, gutters, a small foundation issue that was an easy fix). So far I've been lucky and I know it. I'm more in the center of the state and in the higher elevations (I'm 235 feet about sea level).

Homeowners was just something that kept getting put on the back burner and yea I'm a dumbass.

So, lets hope and pray a little longer that this storm continues to bend eastward.

John,
I could argue strongly against insurance at this point, but there's an argument to save a bit for a rainy day just in case. You've probably saved tens of thousands in premiums over the years and done well.

Look at the biggest risks that you face with your house (it's not hurricane damage), and protect for that. Wind and fire are much more common. So spend

And 235 ft in Tampa? Very unlikely, but you could be at 30 which is high enough.

My vote is that this post is bogus. Cannot say why, just a gut feeling, but too many things sound wrong. Enough money to pay cash, but cannot afford insurance? (Can you say home equity loan.) His elevation for central florida seems high. The title and timing of the post. I don't know, just seems funny.

When I lived in Florida and sold P & C there, I would get calls occasionally from someone in a similar situation. All I could do is sell Citizen's (the state operated insurance company). Because of no prior, the rates were very high, and there was a 30 day waiting period before coverage actually kicked in.

Greetings Everyone,

Was going to fire up a Florida thread over Irma BUT so many people in Houston suffered, seemed selfish. That said the landscape will change here.

-Homeowner's Insurance in 2018 will see a big hike, it already was up 10-15% across the board this year, seems likely it will trend higher for the foreseeable future after a steady decline over the last 5-10 years.

-Despite a Cat 5 on the doorsteps, the Keys could have been hit even harder and Key West was not obliterated off the map. I have stayed in the Lower Keys many times, yeah those with Air BnBs are out of business for a while. I would like to see what is left of Bahia Honda, Keys Fisheries around MM20, it's all kinds of terrible I'm sure.

-Naples and Marco Island will suffer but I can tell you many folks don't shed a tear over some of the stuff they have done to Marco Island the last many years, they ruined a lot of it by building it up. Just my take from speaking with the locals.

John,
I could argue strongly against insurance at this point, but there's an argument to save a bit for a rainy day just in case. You've probably saved tens of thousands in premiums over the years and done well.

Look at the biggest risks that you face with your house (it's not hurricane damage), and protect for that. Wind and fire are much more common. So spend

And 235 ft in Tampa? Very unlikely, but you could be at 30 which is high enough.

Technically I live in Zephyrhills, about a hour North/Northwest of the city. I live off of the Le Heup hill. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Florida's_highest_points

Back