No Joke - I Need Homeowners Insurance

Assuming my home survives the hurricane barreling at me; I'm going to need homeowner's.

The good news is that I'm no where near a stream or floodplain so that's not an issue (I'm actually in one of the higher parts of Florida).

Seriously?

You own a home now and DON'T have homeowners insurance?

Yikes.

Well at the time I bought the home in cash since I didn't want a mortgage (I bought the house in my late 40's and could not see paying on it till my late 60's early 70's).

That in turn ate up my savings. Which meant money was tight and I needed to do some home improvements as well (new roof, gutters, a small foundation issue that was an easy fix). So far I've been lucky and I know it. I'm more in the center of the state and in the higher elevations (I'm 235 feet about sea level).

Homeowners was just something that kept getting put on the back burner and yea I'm a dumbass.

So, lets hope and pray a little longer that this storm continues to bend eastward.

Yikes is right! I would be shocked if someone is willing to insure knowing the hurricane may be coming. I wish you good luck.

Most coastal carriers have probably already put a moratorium of placing business even if you had an agent willing. Prayers are all I can offer, but that may be your best insurance at this point.

No carrier is going to sell you a policy now...

Reminds me of a good quote:

"Needing insurance is like needing a parachute. If it isn't there the first time you need it, chances are you won't be needing it again."

Most coastal carriers have probably already put a moratorium of placing business even if you had an agent willing. Prayers are all I can offer, but that may be your best insurance at this point.

Yup, moratoriums were in effect as early as 9/2.

Reminds me of a good quote:

"Needing insurance is like needing a parachute. If it isn't there the first time you need it, chances are you won't be needing it again."

Related quote:

"Better to have a handgun and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

----------

This may seem nasty but I wouldn't even offer prayers. I have no sympathy for people who don't buy insurance and then have their homes destroyed.

Well at the time I bought the home in cash since I didn't want a mortgage (I bought the house in my late 40's and could not see paying on it till my late 60's early 70's).

That in turn ate up my savings. Which meant money was tight and I needed to do some home improvements as well (new roof, gutters, a small foundation issue that was an easy fix). So far I've been lucky and I know it. I'm more in the center of the state and in the higher elevations (I'm 235 feet about sea level).

Homeowners was just something that kept getting put on the back burner and yea I'm a dumbass.

So, lets hope and pray a little longer that this storm continues to bend eastward.

But it's cutting straight up the middle and Central FL is fair game from the latest model tracks.

Back