Organization?

BrendanFFG

If you where a P&C agent selling 35-40 policies a week, what would you do to stay organized? When I say organized I mean making sure everything is fulfilled, apps sent out/ keeping track of where each individual is in the process of the sale?

We use EzLynx as a rater and outlook calenders for appointments. Currently we have multiple excel sheets that are cluttered and difficult to work through. Were a small team now, but before we grow this has to be dealt. Any advice or help from you guys is much appreciated!

If you where a P&C agent selling 35-40 policies a week, what would you do to stay organized? When I say organized I mean making sure everything is fulfilled, apps sent out/ keeping track of where each individual is in the process of the sale?

We use EzLynx as a rater and outlook calenders for appointments. Currently we have multiple excel sheets that are cluttered and difficult to work through. Were a small team now, but before we grow this has to be dealt. Any advice or help from you guys is much appreciated!

If you're writing that much then you need to hire an assistant or csr for the back end work...period

Ya if you're writing that much new business you could probably write a lot more hiring a CSR to process and follow up. A good CSR is worth paying for. They end up paying for themselves through retention, cross selling Ect.

We have CSR's, two of them. One handles cancellation of prior policies and making sure the premium gets paid and that everything is taking care of as far as escrow/billing. And the other handles the normal CS work. IE: making changes to policies ect. But the agents still need a way to stay organized better, there has to be a solution that somebody is willing to share to stay on top of everything.

sounds like you dont have a management system.......UMMMMMMMMM

Exlynx has one of the better ones.....

Are you an independent agent? Why is there really that much follow-up? We just use a client check list page and My producer is responsible for getting all required documentation before we even submit. Not smart to submit a policy and then waste time tracking down important underwriting documentation.

We just get the client to sign everything, tell them we are going to fax a cancelation request and we need these documents. If they don't have the documents when they sign or if they are doing an esign then we just warn them they have until "date" to get those to us or the policies will cancel. I've noticed this is the best way to do it. That way if you have a cancelation due to missing documentation then you warned them, they pay a reinstatement fee and def get you the documents.

Last edited:
Are you an independent agent? Why is there really that much follow-up? We just use a client check list page and My producer is responsible for getting all required documentation before we even submit. Not smart to submit a policy and then waste time tracking down important underwriting documentation.

I get where your coming from absolutely. One of the things I didn't mention since I felt it wasn't relevant I am an independent agent with one of the nation's largest VA Lenders. Refinances and new purchases and I'm just absolutely swamped. They do 40-50 loans a week. So I have to keep track of things most agents never have to worry about. Example, closing dates of there loan/ where there at in the loan process. Things like can we or can't we include the new homeowners policy in closing, and the list goes on. We have it under control and our system works. Room for improvement absolutely exists, hence why I thought I'd reach out to the community and see if anybody had any ideas I could relate to and implement in the system.

workflow/automation issue - without knowing anything about your agency. I think you should take a second and map out were your having the most time consuming issues and start with that. Address one issue at a time or it becomes overwhelming.

Most CRM's and Management systems have automatic Reminder settings. Most of the time issues of streamlining stem from Producers not filling it out properly from the start forcing them to go back and re do the work. Thats the biggest issue i have seen in any industry. Everytime you switch tasks you lose valuable time to stop what you are doing and open other screens for example pull up info, look for missing paperwork blah blah blah.

Maybe being more strict with the documentation process would solve a lot of issues. The agents might hate you for the first 30 days but will love you when it becomes turnkey.

I get where your coming from absolutely. One of the things I didn't mention since I felt it wasn't relevant I am an independent agent with one of the nation's largest VA Lenders. Refinances and new purchases and I'm just absolutely swamped. They do 40-50 loans a week. So I have to keep track of things most agents never have to worry about. Example, closing dates of there loan/ where there at in the loan process. Things like can we or can't we include the new homeowners policy in closing, and the list goes on. We have it under control and our system works. Room for improvement absolutely exists, hence why I thought I'd reach out to the community and see if anybody had any ideas I could relate to and implement in the system.

When you say "I am an independent agent with one of the nation's largest VA Lenders" what does that mean? Are you an independent insurance agency owner? Or are you an employee of a VA lender whereby you producer/manage a portion of their insurance division whereby they represent 1+ carrier?

Everything I do is new home purchases & one thing I've learned is it's a GREAT way of generation referrals. However (inevitably) when your business is 100% home purchases, you're dealing with closing date changes on the regular (accompanied by the requirement for updated insurance docs) along w/ mortgagee clause updates etc.

Back