P&C Agents - Sneaky?

pfg1

Guru
1000 Post Club
I'm a little pissed at my agents office right now... I called yesterday to make a couple changes to my auto policy, and the woman ended up quoting me a whole new policy. As we were discussing what I wanted to do, she kept saying "on the new policy there will be..." and finally I asked her why she kept saying "new policy"....and if she was setting me up a new policy, or just updating my current policy as I asked?

She said new. WTH? Why would I want a new policy? Grrrrr

Of course I got mad, and chewed her a bit. NEVER did I ask for a "new" policy. She said "ok, sorry... I thought you wanted a new policy".

Is this common practice for P&C guys.... setting up a new policy when a customer asks to make a change? That sounds like a racket to get paid a commission, rather than provide service to clients as requested.

I'm gonna email the head agent of the office today - who is my actual agent, but was out when I called... ridiculous if you ask me. I've never had this happen with them before, so it could have been an honest mistake. However, I'm more inclined to say it was a calculated plan on her part to get a commission, rather than a mistake. I gave them my policy # and told them I want to add a vehicle on...etc. Not sure what part of that means I want a NEW policy. :1mad:

I'm a little pissed at my agents office right now... I called yesterday to make a couple changes to my auto policy, and the woman ended up quoting me a whole new policy. As we were discussing what I wanted to do, she kept saying "on the new policy there will be..." and finally I asked her why she kept saying "new policy"....and if she was setting me up a new policy, or just updating my current policy as I asked? She said new. WTH? Why would I want a new policy? Grrrrr Of course I got mad, and chewed her a bit. NEVER did I ask for a "new" policy. She said "ok, sorry... I thought you wanted a new policy". Is this common practice for P&C guys.... setting up a new policy when a customer asks to make a change? That sounds like a racket to get paid a commission, rather than provide service to clients as requested. I'm gonna email the head agent of the office today - who is my actual agent, but was out when I called... ridiculous if you ask me. I've never had this happen with them before, so it could have been an honest mistake. However, I'm more inclined to say it was a calculated plan on her part to get a commission, rather than a mistake. I gave them my policy # and told them I want to add a vehicle on...etc. Not sure what part of that means I want a NEW policy. :1mad:

To tell you the truth I don't really see benefit for the service rep to write a new policy. They are already being paid comm since you are a current customer, unless the agent has some incentive for rewrites?

It appears you've been upset with Nationwide in the past. With you being in VA, have you looked into Erie Insurance? They are very competitive and rank extremely high in customer service. I'm an agent in PA but work closely with an Erie agent in VA. Let me know if I can help!

To tell you the truth I don't really see benefit for the service rep to write a new policy. They are already being paid comm since you are a current customer, unless the agent has some incentive for rewrites?

It appears you've been upset with Nationwide in the past. With you being in VA, have you looked into Erie Insurance? They are very competitive and rank extremely high in customer service. I'm an agent in PA but work closely with an Erie agent in VA. Let me know if I can help!

I have been upset with them in the past, mainly due to the agent. Overall, I'm ok... and my new agent (I changed a year ago - the old guy sucked and was retiring) so far he has been pretty good. We went over everything in detail last year, and he was able to update my policy to basically be how I wanted. I'm just a little mad that one of the agents in his office tried to write me a new policy. I have no clue why... my only guess is that she could be agent of record maybe, and get a commission? Otherwise, why would they do that instead of just making the changes to the existing?

Honestly, my main reason for not switching... I've been with them since 1989. Maybe I'm wrong in my thinking, but I think that has to count for something if/when I have a claim or claims on my policy. My main concern... switching and having a claim soon after, and getting dropped or jacked on price. I have a young driver (17) on my policy, certainly don't need to be dropped for a claim on a new policy, to (maybe) save a little money on premium - which is probably unlikely to be much if any due to all the discounts I have.

That captive Nationwide agent has done a good job selling you on the "benefits" of staying with one carrier. In fact the carrier wont treat you any better at the time of a claim and all carriers have Under writing guidelines to drop you if you get too many claims.

I suggest looking into Erie with the agent above.

Also. Getting a new policy. The agent gets paid a renewal commission too, so to move you just for fun is not something an agent would do, unless there was a benefit?

It is possible the CSR you spoke with just didn't know any better or thought it would be easier to generate a new policy versus adding a vehicle.

Just a thought.

Sounds to me like your a pain in the @$$ typical *** client. What on earth do you give 2 $hits for if the CSR went to rewrite your policy? Maybe she thought your price sucked & could get you a better price? Maybe (more likely) you bit*ched about your price in the process & she figured a rewrite was best.

I could understand if she force fed the rewrite down your throat (or did it w/out telling you) and you subsequently lost accident forgivness or something. But otherwise, how do you even have the time in your day to email the agency owner over something so trivial? I guarantee you the agency owner wants to write back "shut up you complainer" and i hope he just deletes your email

Nothing happened to you, you're not out anything.

Insurance1822's dictionary references an "*** client" or "bum" as one of (but not limited to the following.) *A client who's created their own expectation about how things should work*

Your reasoning about not wanting to leave Nationwide proves my point. You're a bum & us P&C agents hate bums like you.

Go to an independent agency who represents a bunch of carriers & get quotes. If you came to my office & complained about how your existing agent tried to screw you w/ a rewrite and blah blah blah blah I just wouldn't call you back.

Sounds to me like your a pain in the @$$ typical *** client. What on earth do you give 2 for if the CSR went to rewrite your policy? Maybe she thought your price sucked & could get you a better price? Maybe (more likely) you bit*ched about your price in the process & she figured a rewrite was best.

I could understand if she force fed the rewrite down your throat (or did it w/out telling you) and you subsequently lost accident forgivness or something. But otherwise, how do you even have the time in your day to email the agency owner over something so trivial? I guarantee you the agency owner wants to write back "shut up you complainer" and i hope he just deletes your email

Nothing happened to you, you're not out anything.

Insurance1822's dictionary references an "*** client" or "bum" as one of (but not limited to the following.) *A client who's created their own expectation about how things should work*

Your reasoning about not wanting to leave Nationwide proves my point. You're a bum & us P&C agents hate bums like you.

Go to an independent agency who represents a bunch of carriers & get quotes. If you came to my office & complained about how your existing agent tried to screw you w/ a rewrite and blah blah blah blah I just wouldn't call you back.

Well that was a helpful post.

My main question was why were they trying to re-write me in the first place? To get addl commissions? I don't know, I don't sell P&C. It may have been an honest mistake, or maybe there was something in it for her. ?
Either way, you don't just re-write someone without asking them or telling them, or is that typical?

I went through my policy completely and thoroughly with my actual agent last year, he too thought it may be better to re-write. However after actually looking at the policy, he determined it was better to stay with what I had. There was no advantage to re-writing it, and I would actually lose some things that I have now.

After my conversations with the lady today, I believe it was more incompetence than some ulterior motive. She finally got my changes made correctly so I'm good to go.

Agreed with Shawn - You wont get any special treatment during a claim. When it comes time to payout and talk about $$$$ everything becomes so cut and dry dont matter if your with them 100 years.

The only time i have ever seen longevity pay off was negotiating at renewal time, but even then personal lines is already so discounted theres not much room and doesnt warrant being with a crap agent just for the longer relationship.

honestly Insurance1822 just said what 80% of the p&c agents were thinking...
people are human and as long as the agency makes it right in the end and doesnt cost you time or money I say let it go.

Why would you get mad about it? If it were of benefit to you, why should you be upset? Obviously the person you were speaking with understands underwriting guidelines better than you and they could have seen a real benefit it making a change based on the new information you were giving them. Very few carriers offer you much in the way of benefit for being a longtime customers. Progressive has a system in place, it's not game changing but at least it's something and they spell it out clearly. Most don't though.

As far as commissions, new vs renewal usually isn't different enough to make it worth much extra work on their part.

Just out of curiosity, you werent adding a fifth vehicle or something, were you? Most carriers have a maximum number of vehicles, so if that were it, you still purchased a second policy, she just stopped using those words. Lol seriously though, such a silly reason to get upset.

Back