P& C -Appointments

bradley3

Hello! Does anyone know of any carriers that will appoint new agents here in Alabama without going through a broker?

Thank you!

Generally non-standard are the only ones that will appoint with a book of business or experience. Even then, no guarantees.

Bradly,

The Industry is in a peculiar place. The Deck is shuffling very fast. Even Volagents comments only have a % of accuracy at this moment in time, as the Industry shifts away from Mono Auto and Monoline auto carriers struggle to keep their heads above water.

New, as in no experience at all?
It will be difficult. Much more to running a profitable agency than just advertising and selling policies. Carriers want to know you won't be bringing a bunch of losing risks to the table. You need some experience and someone to teach you. It's very difficult to simply butler into the business that way.
Even experience, a good business plan, and a proven track record gets me snubbed more than accepted by desireable carriers.

Bradly,

The Industry is in a peculiar place. The Deck is shuffling very fast. Even Volagents comments only have a % of accuracy at this moment in time, as the Industry shifts away from Mono Auto and Monoline auto carriers struggle to keep their heads above water.

What mono carriers per say? How many (preferred) monoline carriers are there? The only monoline auto carriers I know of are non-standards. I still to this day do not understand how my Progressive loss ratio's are consistently <30% year after year & I write the worst of the worst with them. AND...I don't want state minimums.

NGIC? Ha....they're in the triple digits.

Ins1874 is still alive!? What!?

I thought you were gone....Like bought a boat and sailed off to the Bahamas and became a Parrot head.

Mono Auto is primarily NS. Yes. But all Auto providers are shuffling the deck with amazing moves. From fast and frequent rate increases, to playing games on how they are viewed on the rater, to down payments getting jacked... Titan pulling out. Others going to 100% down pays in states. Others turning off states for new expansion. others smaller ones shutting down states and pulling out. and two others small ones disappearing. (Can't remember the names)

Auto industry projected to run a 107 COR all the way through 2018.

Tough time to get markets without some help folks....Frequency is up, severity is through the roof.

Here in sc we have half the NSA carriers we had just 3 years ago. Nobody is buying up business either, all of them are taking rate and slowing down growth. One in particular who has been dominating the non-standard market the past 4 or 5 years with very little underwriting, who have taken to cancelling quite a few for underwriting reasons.
I do have one kind of standard carrier who doesn't do PL property...only auto and then commercial...they haven't taken rate or really slowed down much, just adjusted guidelines to eliminate the fringe elements that shouldn't be with a standard carrier. But they are definitely the exception.

Back