The Problem---getting Experience?

Mike Siegal

Guru
100+ Post Club
Hi all,

I'm having a problem (perhaps its mental) but the The problem and conundrum i'm having with getting started in PC is this;

• -How does one go about getting experience with an independent agency?
  • -Most all Franchise Agencies offer training BUT, they want a non-compete agreement signed---therefore you are limited in growth.
  • -What do you do is this case?

As i'm coming to learn, Most indi agencies want experienced agents with their own BOB. (well that's tough when you are like me, starting out). When you go with a MAJOR franchise agency that will train you, they own your BOB. I'm willing to do this, but, i don't want to be chained forever to them.

What's the best way for a new agent to get training without being chained forever with an agency?

Thanks for any help you can give!

Please clarify, how are you being chained forever to an agency?

The typical route is, go work for a captive agent for a few years, then open your own agency.

Please clarify, how are you being chained forever to an agency?

The typical route is, go work for a captive agent for a few years, then open your own agency.

Thanks Vol,

What i mean is that (unless my thinking is screwed up), i go to work for a captive,---they get me to sign a non-compete,---now i can't work in the area for "x" days or chase customers that "I've brought in." I can understand, not going after their present clients, but not keeping THOSE i brought in is a tough one to swallow.

Maybe a Captive agent will pay me a salary?
What am i seeing wrong?

Thanks!

Thanks Vol,

What i mean is that (unless my thinking is screwed up), i go to work for a captive,---they get me to sign a non-compete,---now i can't work in the area for "x" days or chase customers that "I've brought in." I can understand, not going after their present clients, but not keeping THOSE i brought in is a tough one to swallow.

Maybe a Captive agent will pay me a salary?
What am i seeing wrong?

Thanks!

Any agreement to keep you from working pretty much won't hold water. Although they can still drag you into court.

The clients you bring them is just the price of admission. If you found clients once, you can find them again.

Im in the same position as you Mike.

You just have to figure its the price you pay in order to learn everything you need.

I think the most important step is finding a good agency that will take in a newbie (and train).
They deserve to be paid for their time...so imo its fair they get to keep the customers you brought into the company.

Or.... find an Agent that gives you a big enough chunk of the renewal and pays to service your book but you deal with all Renewals. You can still make 150-200k after 5 years and deal with no staffing headaches or other pains of owning an agency.

Back