Professional/Service Organizations

JComey757

Hey Everyone,

I am looking to join a few organizations (service/professional/social) that will allow me to expand my professional networks and also serve the community. Are any of you members, or have previously been a part, of these kind of groups? Any recommendations?

Thanks

----------

.. Groups other than Chamber of Commerce. Tried them and my local chamber is filled with other agents and sales guys.

You'll only get out of these association memberships what you put into them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1U5h_xVrl8

If you're going to join an association for the SOLE purpose of finding new sales prospects... you'll be disappointed.

Join associations that you would have joined if you had no "need" whatsoever. Get involved, join the board, join a committee, and get active because it's a cause or area that you have an affinity for. THAT's when association memberships can really blossom for you.

Now, if you need to pay your bills today, then this isn't going to fix it for you. Association networking is "tomorrow prospecting".

Note: the reason to join the local chamber of commerce is NOT to try to sell everyone. It's to keep a pulse on your local economy and business developments. Who cares how many other agents are there... if you don't care about selling everyone?

And here's the biggest secret: As soon as you lose your "need to sell" at these associations, you'll attract more business. Get some mouthwash and lose the commission-breath. Realign your purpose of membership to those of the goals of the community and the organization. Become a leader, and you'll attract more business... over time.

Water your own grass... before looking for someone else's fertilized grass.

if you have no passion for the organization/association you will be miserable. Pick a group you would be interested in even if you got zero clients out of it.
LET YOUR PARTICIPATION attract the customers.

IMO Chamber is old school and boring AS F%^&...

Diving, boating, running, racing, biking - some ideas. Youl meet better prospects joggin in a good part of town then the chamber...

Thanks for the input, I have been wanting to become a part of something like this for a while now. I am not doing it for the sales but naturally if I land a few new clients (while helping out the community/having fun/becoming a better person) I wouldn't turn them away. I was just looking for some examples of organizations that are active and do not just hold an annual banquet or meet 2-4 times a year for a lecture. Are any of you apart of something like that.

My hope was for people to list a few particular ones so that I could gain some knowledge from actual members. Then determine if any seemed like something I would enjoy. Trust me, I am well aware of how people view unfamiliar sales guys. Also, I would never join anything that I have no interest in just to try and meet prospects (I would sound like an *** trying to convince them that I share their same passion).

Almighty Google has not been very useful.

I do appreciate both of you, DHK and Eugene, for responding. Thanks for the advice.

I'm involved in Scouting with my church. I'm the Assistant Webelos Den Leader, along with being the Cub Master, and on the district level, I am the District Den Chief Trainer.

All of our dens meet weekly (for the most part) for den and pack meetings.

Our pack leaders meet monthly to plan for the next two months out of pack meetings and activities.

All scout leaders in a district are invited to a monthly "roundtable" to keep on top of changes, get new ideas, and to network with other leaders that are not in your own unit.

I've been involved for nearly 4 years now, and I find it to help me with my own children (ages 11, 9, and 7). I've gotten a LITTLE business out of it, but it's not my primary reason for doing all this.

If you want to get involved, many churches have scouting units as well as local schools. They would love to have additional parent volunteers.

https://beascout.scouting.org/

Back