Prospecting Commercial Property

This is all fine and Dandy, and i hear you guys, but for beginners like me, how do you learn commercial well enough to go out and quote a prospect? What are you going to do, if you are prospecting a Comm.Biz, and they say "ok...give me a quote for my auto-lot?"

I truthfully don't know what i would do? I guess i could call a "comm.agt" and co-broker it,...but not sure if my agency would let me? These are all good questions and points.

Anyone?
im brand new..I dont know much about insurance.
This is like my 7th week.

Once you get a prospect on the hook...the broker(s) that are mentoring you will show you how to write it all up.

I was confused like you before I started because all agencies would tell me "go get some business, and well help you write it"
I was like...ughhh, how does that work if I dont even know the simplest things about insurance.

im brand new..I dont know much about insurance.
This is like my 7th week.

Once you get a prospect on the hook...the broker(s) that are mentoring you will show you how to write it all up.

I was confused like you before I started because all agencies would tell me "go get some business, and well help you write it"
I was like...ughhh, how does that work if I dont even know the simplest things about insurance.

Sounds like Mr Furley and Prof Deckard are encouraging folks to simply grab the Dec pages and bring them in. If the people running your agency don't know what to do with them, DO NOT PASS GO and find another agency. Dec pages IMHO are the key to it all. if you can get business owners to give them to you in order to get a quote, you won't have all that many problems.

Getting Dec pages is a great start. Usually it gives you all the high level exposures needed for rating, pricing/rate info, and inclusions/exclusions. If you are targeting commercial property you're going to need a lot more information to get down the underwriting path though.

Odds are your markets have a supplemental application they require or at least one can be found with a quick google search. At a minimum it should cover the basics like construction, age, occupancy, and fire protection. Depending on the type of property it could also include security, emergency egress, winter weather protocols, maintenance, etc. Just don't go overboard on your initial meeting..if there are 50 questions pick the 10 most important and save the rest for follow ups.

Back