Question for the Pros....?

TonyC

Guru
100+ Post Club
Hi Friends,

Just thinkin this over as i pick a school to get my PC lic. and undertake the study and effort and then WHO to work for.

QUESTION(s):

• When are CSR needed as opposed to fully-licensed agents (LA)?
  • Why would a company hire agents when they can get their own leads and close them with a CSR as opposed to a LA?
...your constructive input is appreciated.

Last edited:
Hi Friends,

Just thinkin this over as i pick a school to get my PC lic. and undertake the study and effort and then WHO to work for.

QUESTION(s):

• When are CSR needed as opposed to fully-licensed agents (LA)?
  • Why would a company hire agents when they can get their own leads and close them with a CSR as opposed to a LA?
...your constructive input is appreciated.

Because a CSR is too busy with service to generator enough prospects and sales. Often agents are paid straight commission whereas a CSR usuall has a salary or is hourly.

Last edited:
Most CSR's are required to have their license as well.

In (very) general terms, you have 3 sets of people

CSR's - Service work, inside sales, or maybe better put, inbound calls and routine policy changes and upselling.

Producers - Outside sales. Most of the day is spent 'fishing' for new business. Doesn't usually do things like change cars on policy, fax documents to lenders, etc.

Agent - The boss. Cracks the whip and complains about how nobody is working hard enough before he heads out for golf for the day.

Dan

Ok....so a PC agent who works for a company is usually "out and about" getting new business?

My setup is 2 in office CSRs who close the inbound leads from the internet or referrals and also do service work. I have 2 1099 producers who are on straight commission who only get paid for business they generate.

It's up to you to decide if you need more help generating leads or help closing leads you already have coming in. I opted for the CSR/insides sales method because I generate enough business on my own I just need them to write the apps. If you are having problems getting clients I would hire producers to help build your book.

1) A CSR is needed when the amount service work you have to do takes away from the time you have to write new business. For some it happens after the first year some its after a few.

2) Agents hire producers to bring in new business and help you grow your book. The bigger the book the more money you have.

Ok...thanks guys....i'm using the wrong terminology.

I would be a "producer" who is responsible for bringing in business---gotcha.

So a PRODUCER is someone who goes out and brings in business on their own...and gets a split that way.....They are usually 1099 and solicit "businesses" for:

• PC
  • WC
  • etc
and get paid for that business they specifically bring in...Correct?

Last edited:
Basically correct.

Some agencies have producers that target specific lines, such as commercial or health or life. This lets them focus their efforts in one small area that they can master, rather than being a generalist trying to cover everything.

The compensation system for producers is usually commission, but some agencies pay a salary as well as commission. Just depends.

The term '1099' is often misused. Most producers are employees, though they are paid mostly be commission. They may (incorrectly in most cases) be withheld as a contractor, i.e., 1099.

On the other hand, the agent that runs the agency is always a 1099 contractor for the carriers. If not, then they don't run the agency, the carrier does.

Dan

How would you go about hiring a CSR? I have an agency, just me, but may need a CSR.

Would having them work part time work?

How would you go about hiring a CSR? I have an agency, just me, but may need a CSR.

Would having them work part time work?

It all depends on what you need. I have 1 unlicensed CSR who screens calls, takes payments, email/faxes documents who works 5 hours a day during our busiest part of the day. This allows my licensed full time CSR to take a lunch break or help her take quote info if we are really busy.

If you get most of your calls during a few hours of the day hire a part time CSR for that but if you are consistently needing help I would do full time if you could afford it to help with service and retention.

Back