Section 8 Housing - NYC

dahonored1

Expert
Anyone have any experience writing section 8 housing buildings? I feel like standard carriers won't write those type of risks. I currently have a building written through AMTRUST and the owner is applying to be a section 8 housing. Would that affect anything?

Anyone have any experience writing section 8 housing buildings? I feel like standard carriers won't write those type of risks. I currently have a building written through AMTRUST and the owner is applying to be a section 8 housing. Would that affect anything?

"Redlining" is alive and well in the insurance business.

An adverse underwriting decision based solely on Section 8 occupancies smacks of illegal discrimination since Section 8 recipients are typically lower income ethnic minorities.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redlining

I just had a nonprofit habitational risk denied by Amtrust in IL.
25% of the buildings were section 8.

They stated they were not in the market for "housing development / property management".

Start looking for markets now, because its a pain in the ass to place.

I actually logged on here to see if there was a thread on this.

I'm sure the section 8 authority would be happy to know that it is perceived as a racist benefit. Truly, its not, from what I see, it is one of the most multi-cultural benefits that exists.

Not sure if it would be redlining or not, but I do understand your point. Denying it just because it is section 8 probably doesn't work, but there are probably legit ways to prevent writing these risks.

Denying one building is never redlining from what I understand. Denying one neighborhood could be. Of course, a lot of section 8 housing tends to be in the same area.

Dan

So, Dan, you're one of those people that attribute things to people that people didn't actually say. Way to go, Dan.

:no:

Somedays.... but not today. I just read your comment differently then you meant it apparently. Fair enough, I appreciate you setting me straight.

My apologies for misunderstanding your comment.

Dan

Back