Selling commercial insurance to business owners

Dwayne, does this mean you no longer sell med supps? I've not been able to force myself that way yet as it seems the comm'l P & C is keeping more than busy enough. Enjoying CRIS?

- I sell 2-3 med supps a month and they are either refferals or repeats. I am fortunate that I sold a lady a med. supp when she turned 65 and signed her up on part D for free on medicare.gov. She sends me referrals all of the time because she is the go-to person at a local doctors office.

- Commercial is far more interesting for me, uses more of my brain cells and I'm constantly learning something new. Like you, I am more than busy with the commecial side and I'm working 9-5 and enjoying life. I have started cold-calling 1 week out of the month and writing business the other 3. This works well for me and I just signed my biggest clients thus far, about 28,000 A.P. So I'm anxious to see where this goes in the next few years.

- Love the CRIS program. I just took my first exam and am now working on my second class. By the way, the CIC Diagnostic appointmnets DVD was well worth the money. I use their techniques everytime and I would say I'm walking away from 15-20% of potential quotes.I went to a country club and spoke to the manager and he said he had no loyalty to anyone and looked at quotes every year, so I moved on, and I would have wasted my time with this jerk a few months ago, spending weeks on a quote. Your recommendations have been a huge help..

1 thing I am looking forward to is the fact that I just signed up to start Paramedic night classes starting in August. I have my entrance exam on June 25th, but that should be easy enough, I hope. I have no interest in EMS for money, but I have got to take it to prove to myself that I can do it. Probably a stupid reason, but oh well.

I hope things are going well with you.

Last edited:
I was very disappointed yet excited to see when Dwayne started doing P&C. Excited for him; disappointed for me.
He started selling med supps and FE through me and took to it like a fish to water. He was always studying and learning. He was/is such a go-getter. He'll do well in anything he does.
By the way Dwayne...if you ever get tired of P&C, you know where I am!! ;)

I was very disappointed yet excited to see when Dwayne started doing P&C. Excited for him; disappointed for me.
He started selling med supps and FE through me and took to it like a fish to water. He was always studying and learning. He was/is such a go-getter. He'll do well in anything he does.
By the way Dwayne...if you ever get tired of P&C, you know where I am!! ;)

Thanks Todd, you know I have your number and as soon as something comes along that can compete with MOO in Virginia, I will contract with you and not the losers I am currently with and I will switch all of my clients to you. IT'S A DONE DEAL!!!

The biggest difference in P&C and Med. Supps

Med. Supps - Hard to get appointment- VERY EASY SALE!!!!
P&C - Easy to get appointments- HARDER TO GET THE SALE

Dwayne, who does your apps and proposals - you or staff?

WELL, that is a good question. I am supposed to be out selling and getting the apps., and 2 ladies in the office are supposed to be getting my quotes together for me.

However, the ladies have been with the agency for over 30 years each, are about 70, and slow as can be. I have been doing most myself.

I want to start selling commercial come next year and am looking to get a head start on the learning curve.

Please recommend self-study material. Thanks.

The Hartford, if you have them, has classes all the time, called The Hartford school of insurance.

I have always recommended on Commercial, that you pick 2 or 3 SIC codes and learn those inside and out.

Say you pick auto repair facilites, you get the BOP, The GL and the WC, then you also should get the owners personal stuff.

What ever companies you have for Commerical, find out what they are good at rate wise and go from there......

The Hartford, if you have them, has classes all the time, called The Hartford school of insurance.

I have always recommended on Commercial, that you pick 2 or 3 SIC codes and learn those inside and out.

Say you pick auto repair facilites, you get the BOP, The GL and the WC, then you also should get the owners personal stuff.

What ever companies you have for Commerical, find out what they are good at rate wise and go from there......

100% accurate.. I just wrote a large electrical contractor and walked out with their BOP, commercial auto, worker's comp., personal umbrella, homeowners,and personal auto. The agency that I work through also got an AOR signed for their health insurance and that agent sold them their life insurance through West Coast Life. All this through an internet lead...

I went the The Hartford School's New Producer class 2 years ago. It's a 3 week course. The first 2 weeks are CSR classes where you learn all the fine details.....I rated this very good for me as a newb. The instructor was very good. I still look over the class material.
The 3rd week was sales....which I personally did not find very beneficial. Too much perfect world scenario.
Oddly, out of 10 guys in the class...I was the oldest at 51.
Only 1 other guy is still in the business as far as I know.

You may want to check if you have a state insurance agents group...I have massagent.com here in MA. They have some very good class/virtual class/cd's

Last edited:
Back