Sometimes You Get a Clown...

MrGolf

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
Went to a meeting today with a prospective client who works in an industry in which we specialize. Had talked with him on the phone a week or so ago and we both decided it was worth our time to meet. Owner seemed like a fair enough individual who was intrigued by what we can offer and wanted to learn more. All seems well. Make the nearly two hour drive in a torrential down-pour...

What I find at the meeting is an owner who did a reverse from everything I had gathered in my phone conversation with him. Totally hated insurance and blasted it at every turn. Called it a "rigged system" and blamed it specifically for the "lack of profitability" at the company. (Really?? 50k or less of lousy insurance premiums are breaking your company that is doing multiple millions in sales??) Every point made or piece of advice offered was argued and complained about. Risk management would be about as welcome as a root canal. In short, the meeting was exhausting and I was all too happy to get out of there. I actually left feeling sorry for the current agent knowing they've probably endured this same non-sense; and I am debating whether to call them back and politely inform them I don't think we will be able to offer a quote this year, etc., etc.

Anyways, sometimes you get a real clown as the title says. Thanks to anyone who takes the time to read this as I needed to get it off my chest. What a day. What an industry we all work in. :err:

I'd say, Have said, "Look, I'm not the Insurance company I'm an Agent trying to do a risk analysis and if you don't care about certain risks you let me know and I'll exclude them or we can do low coverage and higher deductibles... the good news is you pay for what you get. Now, how much coverage do you actually want to get and risks are you only worried about because I don't have time to lecture about insurance in general as an industry."

Back