Over 150.000 insurance professionals and consumers come to the Insurance Forum every month. Click here to register for FREE

Go Back   Insurance Forums > Insurance Agents and Brokers Forum > P&C Insurance Forum

Reply to Sometimes You Get a Clown...     
Old 09-05-2017, 08:32 PM   #1
Super Genius

State: MrGolf is an Insurance Agent from Kentucky
Sometimes You Get a Clown... Sometimes You Get a Clown...
Went to a meeting today with a prospective client who works in an industry in which we specialize. Had talked with him on the phone a week or so ago and we both decided it was worth our time to meet. Owner seemed like a fair enough individual who was intrigued by what we can offer and wanted to learn more. All seems well. Make the nearly two hour drive in a torrential down-pour...

What I find at the meeting is an owner who did a reverse from everything I had gathered in my phone conversation with him. Totally hated insurance and blasted it at every turn. Called it a "rigged system" and blamed it specifically for the "lack of profitability" at the company. (Really?? 50k or less of lousy insurance premiums are breaking your company that is doing multiple millions in sales??) Every point made or piece of advice offered was argued and complained about. Risk management would be about as welcome as a root canal. In short, the meeting was exhausting and I was all too happy to get out of there. I actually left feeling sorry for the current agent knowing they've probably endured this same non-sense; and I am debating whether to call them back and politely inform them I don't think we will be able to offer a quote this year, etc., etc.

Anyways, sometimes you get a real clown as the title says. Thanks to anyone who takes the time to read this as I needed to get it off my chest. What a day. What an industry we all work in.
------------------------------------
  Reply With Quote to Sometimes You Get a Clown...
Old 09-05-2017, 08:48 PM   #2
Super Genius
adjusterjack on Sometimes You Get a Clown...

State: adjusterjack is an Insurance Agent from Arizona
Sometimes You Get a Clown... Re: Sometimes You Get a Clown...
Yeah, wish I had a buck for every time somebody said:

"I'm INsurance poor."

The emphasis on the first syllable made me want to throttle them.
Old 09-06-2017, 07:41 AM   #3
Guru

State: todd02 is an Insurance Agent from Alabama
Sometimes You Get a Clown... Re: Sometimes You Get a Clown...
I'd say, Have said, "Look, I'm not the Insurance company I'm an Agent trying to do a risk analysis and if you don't care about certain risks you let me know and I'll exclude them or we can do low coverage and higher deductibles... the good news is you pay for what you get. Now, how much coverage do you actually want to get and risks are you only worried about because I don't have time to lecture about insurance in general as an industry."
Reply to Sometimes You Get a Clown... 

Insurance Agent Forum > Insurance Forums > Insurance Agents and Brokers Forum > P&C Insurance Forum