State Farm vs All State vs Nationwide vs Metlife

As of now, they'll (State Farm) hire anybody as long as they are good salespeople and have some financial resources to help with building the business.

State Farm agents are having a very difficult time in FL right now, but hands down SF wins. Brother-in-Law is an Agent for Allstate says they don't get nearly as much help as SF Agents. Be prepared to have a lot of money to run your business up front. within 5 years you will be making a great income!

SF- SF paper only, so limited pool to sell to- read the other forum about the SF "opportunity" first. LOTS of caution.

Allstate- Allstate paper only as well and not as competitive as most. I know of one agent who just gave up her 25 year Allstate agency and another who is being forced out.

Nationwide- at least with NW if you want to write something that the company doesn't write, you can broker it. They have an awesome variable product in the Best of America Life and Annuity. Still, you are captive and must dance the company dance. No selling out when you want to retire or passing off to your kid.

Metlife- can't tell you anything about them.

MetLife P&C agents get a lot of support from the company in the way of expense reimbursement, and they can sell life insurance obviously. On the straight life/financial planning side they don't get nearly as much.

Met has pretty low sales requirements P&C wise compared to most of the other companies.

They pay you a salary for the first two years (after selling enough to qualify for the program) not a loan/commission advance that can be "worked off" like most of the other carriers.

Met P&C agents are not allowed to get securities license though, so no VULs. But you can do term, whole, and UL.

Overall they're a pretty good company to work for. They're probably not the most competitive company when it comes to rates. But if you depend entirely on rate to sell, you're not going to do very good in insurance sales anyway. And when you do get someone who is their target market, and it's an account sale, they are competitive and the clients tend to stay with you for a long time.

You weren't even a part of the thread when it was live a year ago. Who cares if I comment on a thread that I have interest in? I thought that was the purpose of an online forum.

But I guess we solved the question on Farmers in a separate thread.

Personally I would not even consider Farmers, State Farm, or Allstate. I don't know enough about Nationwide or Metlife. With what little I know I would lean towards Metlife.

Back