Over 150.000 insurance professionals and consumers come to the Insurance Forum every month. Click here to register for FREE

Go Back   Insurance Forum > Insurance Agents and Brokers Forum > P&C Insurance Forum

Reply to State Farm vs All State vs Nationwide vs Metlife     
Old 09-25-2007, 11:51 PM   #1
Expert

State: Angio333 is an Insurance Agent from Undisclosed Location
State Farm vs All State vs Nationwide vs Metlife State Farm vs All State vs Nationwide vs Metlife
State Farm, All State, Nationwide, or Metlife?

Which one do you think would be the best for a brand spanking new agent? I'm leaning towards P&C with cross selling Life, etc.

Thanks.
------------------------------------
  Reply With Quote to State Farm vs All State vs Nationwide vs Metlife

Old 09-26-2007, 01:44 AM   #2
Super Genius

State: Agent is an Insurance Agent from Undisclosed Location
State Farm vs All State vs Nationwide vs Metlife Re: State Farm vs All State vs Nationwide vs Metlife
State farm all the way.

Check out financial-planning.com message boards for in depth discussion of the companies you mentioned.
Old 09-26-2007, 01:57 AM   #3
djs
Guru

State: djs is an Insurance Agent from California
djs is a member of 5000 posts Super VIP club
State Farm vs All State vs Nationwide vs Metlife Re: State Farm vs All State vs Nationwide vs Metlife
Your probably not going to go to badly with any of the above. All carriers have regional goods and bads, so other than knowing that each of these are above board, it is really going to depend on what you want to do, and how the carriers are competitvely in your market.

I highly suggest calling some local neighborhood agents for each, make sure they have been with the company for a while (i.e., 10 years or more) offer to buy them lunch in exchange for some info. Okay, you probably don't have to buy lunch, a lot of agents will tell you what is good (and bad) about the companies they represent.

Dan
Old 09-26-2007, 05:57 AM   #4

State: loweman is an Insurance Agent from Undisclosed Location
I hear Met has a lot of expenses for their Life agents. State farm could be good. Allstate you have to open your own place at some time but could be good except I think their life products are not competitvely priced. Not sure if Nationwide has life products.

Register Now for FREE!
To sign up for your FREE INSTANT account, please complete the form.

Username:
    Password:   Confirm Password:     E-Mail:   Confirm E-Mail:     

Question of the day:   How many stars are in USA flag? I agree to forum rules 

Old 09-26-2007, 08:22 AM   #5
Guru
CHUMPS FROM OXFORD on State Farm vs All State vs Nationwide vs Metlife - Insurance Forum

State: CHUMPS FROM OXFORD is an Insurance Agent from Ohio
CHUMPS FROM OXFORD is a member of 5000 posts Super VIP club
good stuff here

Last edited by CHUMPS FROM OXFORD; 12-14-2009 at 10:42 AM.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:50 AM   #6
Guru

State: MIBizInsurance is an Insurance Agent from Undisclosed Location
Solid advice from all.

As Dan mentioned contact current agents. Also contact some new agents (1-5 yrs) as this will give you insight on how things (training,mang. etc...) are currently.

Also, don't forget local indy P &C agents. Training will probaly not be as structured but you would be able to offer multiple companies.

Good luck.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:19 AM   #7
Guru
moonlightandmargaritas on State Farm vs All State vs Nationwide vs Metlife - Insurance Forum

State: moonlightandmargaritas is an Insurance Agent from Florida
moonlightandmargaritas is a member of 5000 posts Super VIP club
In the past, State Farm has only hired new agents that are working in some other capacity in their company already (sales mgmt, claims, etc.)

Has that changed?
Old 09-26-2007, 11:35 AM   #8
djs
Guru

State: djs is an Insurance Agent from California
djs is a member of 5000 posts Super VIP club
Originally Posted by moonlightandmargaritas View Post
In the past, State Farm has only hired new agents that are working in some other capacity in their company already (sales mgmt, claims, etc.)

Has that changed?
This might be a regional thing, but in California, they are actively seeking new agents. They bring them in and have them work in other capacities for a short time (i.e., training) and then put them out as a training agent.

They are tough to get in with, but by the time you open your doors, you will be successful.

Dan
Old 06-08-2008, 09:39 AM   #9
Guru
xrac on State Farm vs All State vs Nationwide vs Metlife - Insurance Forum

State: xrac is an Insurance Agent from Indiana
xrac is a member of 5000 posts Super VIP club
Originally Posted by MIBizInsurance View Post
Solid advice from all. As Dan mentioned contact current agents. Also contact some new agents (1-5 yrs) as this will give you insight on how things (training,mang. etc...) are currently. Also, don't forget local indy P &C agents. Training will probaly not be as structured but you would be able to offer multiple companies. Good luck.
This is probably the best thing that you can do. I would do this with all of the companies I am considering. Based upon my due diligence I would rank the opportunities and then pursue appointment with at least top two opportunities. The reason I would pursue two is it gives me a fall back position if for some reason my top choice doesn't pan out.

Once I was on the verge of being offered a position in outside sales for Ralston-Purina. The process had went well even including spending a day riding with an outside salesman and a second day riding with the area sales manager. However, I was never offered the job because they decided to close a New England sales division and transferred outside salesmen into the region I was being considered for. This killed the opportunity and taught me that things can occur beyond my control.
Old 03-15-2009, 01:47 PM   #10

State: david77 is an Insurance Agent from New York
hey folks. do you know which of the large insurance companies offer the best selection/flexibility? for example, annuities- short surrender periods for fixed and l shares for variable?
Reply to State Farm vs All State vs Nationwide vs Metlife 

Insurance Agent Forum > Insurance Forum > Insurance Agents and Brokers Forum > P&C Insurance Forum