Tips to Determine what Year(s) Electrical, HVAC, Plumbing, Roof Updated?

All solid stuff here so far. In Florida, we have 4-point inspections that are recommended anything 15 years or older, and outright required on 40+ for most carriers. It'll tell us all those details.

But for rough guesses, we ask when water heater was replaced which count for a plumbing update (most carriers ask if partial or fully, just note partial).

Same thing for AC unit: ask last time they think it was replaced, then you have partial update info on that PLUS if that's been updated, you know some level of electrical components had to be updated during that time as well

I go through everything and most people don't remember, so I start with the listing info if it's cached somewhere on Zillow. Then I see if they have a copy of the inspection report when they bought the house, you would be surprised at the number of people with that pdf saved. Then I ask them to call the inspection company and get a copy. If all that fails, I do some common sense/wild ass guess. If the home is more than 30 years old, we know the roof has been replaced, usually around a time of sale. So if the people I am talking to now have owned a 30 year old home for 10 years, I assume the roof is 10 years old. People don't buy a house with a bad roof unless they immediately replace it. If the math doesn't work out because the home is really old and they don't have a clue, I just walk them back through when they bought the home, how was the roof? Then it jogs people a bit and they usually recall. As for electrical, I use a dating system. If a house was built in the 40's or 50's, it probably got an overhaul in the 70's. Newer than that, I leave the date of construction. I also look at tax records and county records. I was in remodeling and construction for years so I can usually get pretty close.

Last edited:
I go through everything and most people don't remember, so I start with the listing info if it's cached somewhere on Zillow. Then I see if they have a copy of the inspection report when they bought the house, you would be surprised at the number of people with that pdf saved. Then I ask them to call the inspection company and get a copy. If all that fails, I do some common sense/wild ass guess. If the home is more than 30 years old, we know the roof has been replaced, usually around a time of sale. So if the people I am talking to now have owned a 30 year old home for 10 years, I assume the roof is 10 years old. People don't buy a house with a bad roof unless they immediately replace it. If the math doesn't work out because the home is really old and they don't have a clue, I just walk them back through when they bought the home, how was the roof? Then it jogs people a bit and they usually recall. As for electrical, I use a dating system. If a house was built in the 40's or 50's, it probably got an overhaul in the 70's. Newer than that, I leave the date of construction. I also look at tax records and county records. I was in remodeling and construction for years so I can usually get pretty close.

That is a whole lot of assuming in there...

In most areas, you are required to get building permits for a lot of these things. If the city has online access to permits, you can look them up.

Now, a lot of people do this stuff with no permits, so its not always the 'only' answer, but it can help find the answer in a lot of situations.

For plumbing, you can also just simply turn on the kitchen sink. Runs slow with low pressure? They have galvanized pipes that are clogging up. Probably has never been updated.

HVAC systems have manufacturer's data plates on various components that can be decoded by the manufacturer or may even have a manufacture date on them.

With asphalt shingles of various types it's not that difficult to get an idea of age if you get up on a latter and examine them. A roofer or a property adjuster can make a reasonably fair estimate of the age of a roof.

Nice tips) But I am struggling with a problem right now. My shower drains need to be fixed... Don't know which company to call.

Nice tips) But I am struggling with a problem right now. My shower drains need to be fixed... Don't know which company to call.
Pour some Drano in them follow with hot water. Remove drain cover from shower floor and see how much hair you can remove afterwards

The best answer to this question is to start with research on the property.
What year was the house built? Obviously newer homes, it matters less.
Older homes it matters a ton.

Being a Local agent and knowing an area can help a ton as well. In many parts of the country all the houses in certain neighborhoods have the same types of foundations. Some developments have the exact same type of heating systems for all the homes.

As has previously been stated knowing how to access permits is helpful as well.

I like to ask clients that seem particularly unknowledgeable - when was the last time the kitchen and bathrooms were remodeled? What types of countertops do they have. Assuming the kitchen was remodeled it the 70s, one might assume that the plumbing was at least partially updated at that time.

Another trick on the plumbing is to have the consumer check the type of plumbing leading into the hot water heater. In many homes that may be the only place where you can actually see the plumbing.

The need to check the electrics occurs in several cases: when buying a new home, during repairs before finishing the walls, in case of problems, and sometimes after flooding the apartment. If you doubt your abilities and do not have any experience in electrical work, I recommend calling a master Plumber Sutherland Shire | Wilco Plumbing | Sutherland Shire Plumbers who will quickly, and most importantly – correctly be able to make an audit of the electrical wiring. The same applies to plumbing. Especially if you order services you must sign a contract that confirms what was installed and in what year

Yup. I have always went by the golden rule to call a Master Plumber when I have an Electrical issue. Always call my auto mechanic when my teeth are hurting

The need to check the electrics occurs in several cases: when buying a new home, during repairs before finishing the walls, in case of problems, and sometimes after flooding the apartment. If you doubt your abilities and do not have any experience in electrical work, I recommend calling a master Plumber Sutherland Shire | Wilco Plumbing | Sutherland Shire Plumbers who will quickly, and most importantly – correctly be able to make an audit of the electrical wiring. The same applies to plumbing. Especially if you order services you must sign a contract that confirms what was installed and in what year
ha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back