Tips to Determine what Year(s) Electrical, HVAC, Plumbing, Roof Updated?

smallbiz

New agent here so apologies if this is a stupid question, but in the couple of homeowners quotes I've done so far, I've been spending a lot of time working with the client on trying to figure out what year(s) their electrical wiring in their home was update, their HVAC system was update, their plumbing was updated, and their roof was updated. Nobody seems to know the answer to these questions.

Any tips on how to find this information for a particular home and/or filling out apps asking for this information?

check the break box. how many amps. older home use fuses. then 60 range amp, then 120 amp. those are good indications of getting age range. also that all they really care about. is anyone sticking pennies behind the fuses.
Plumbing if its pvc. that's all they care about.

Don't fight the age, fight the code.

Here in OH I can go to county auditor websites and get some useful property history information.......but that's because it's a property tax assessment record.

Just ask them their best guess. If they don't know they are not very smart buying a home and not knowing that kind of info. Ultimately it's their word and your documents will state that.

This is always tough. If it's a new purchase, you should be able to see the photos on listing sites (zillow, trulia..) and that will assist. I always ask if there's circuit breakers to confirm electric has been updated (fuses won't pass inspection.) For plumbing, I ask if there's PVC or Copper as anything else (galvanized steel) won't passl. So if it's PVC or copper, you know it's NOT galvanized steel.

For roof...they need to know. If they don't, just disclose the inspection may nip them in the butt.

In Florida and especially South Florida you want roofs 2002/2004 and newer. There were laws/rules passed and typically this information will pop up on any Wind Mit and also a 4 pt inspection. I put the onus on the homeowner.

By and large the age of the roof and credits that seem to be tied to the roof like singlewrap/nails, 6/6 vs 6/12, Hurricane opening protection throughout the house, that's the stuff we deal with mostly.

People always ask but it seems like home insurance down here is experiencing an increase, like 10-15%+ across the board. Avg policy of late has been coming in around $2,500-$3,000 on a 3 bedroom/2,500 sq ft home in a middle to upper middle neighborhood it seems.

I'm still new so take everything I post with at least 2 grains of salt.

Plumbing is usually a crap shoot. Nobody seems to know when their plumbing was updated.

If they've lived in the house for more than 15 years and don't know the age of the roof and don't make any mention of planning to have it replaced, I back out.Unless of course its slate or some other kind of lifetime material.

As far as the electric goes, I typically go with the age of the HVAC system. If a new system was installed 5 years ago, there's a really good chance that the electric is up to date or has been updated to meet code when the new HVAC system was installed.

Back