Website for Property Information?

SpinsAgency

Expert
Hey all....I was wondering if anyone knows a good website that can be used to find out information of buildings and homes. I frequently have trouble finding out the date of a commercial property was built as well as some older homes. I check the tax records, but they are not always updated. I also check PropertyShark to no avail. Does anyone have any better resources?

Thanks!

Zillow.com can be useful. County websites usually have property info on them as well.

The client for a home is usually good with that, but in my case a lot of commercial clients have no clue.

I'm working on a shopping center right now and they have no idea when it was built, square footage, etc. Square footage is easy as I can just go and measure, but if they have no idea when it was built, what do I do?

Depending where you live most county accessors have commercial and residential info online-I'm in Missouri and that is where I go for that type of info.

sites like zillow (as josh mentioned), trulia and property shark (as you referenced) are good resources.

I see you are in NJ..if the risk you are looking at happens to be over the bridge in Philadelphia, this is an excellent resource for commercial property information in the city - Property Search

As Josh pointed out, the county websites are a good resource as well. The quality of info will vary greatly from county to county though..so don't set your expectations to high.

I would also use google maps - w/ street view you can pretty easily identify proximity to fire hydrants, they have a measurement tool for square footage and if there is a hook up for a fire suppression/sprinkler system you can probably see it by navigating in street view around the building, along with # of stories, type of construction, all the visual stuff..not perfect but a combination of these sources should get the job done..

State assessor's site - which is what we use just about every day. The Iowa assessor's page links you to each individual counties page, you can search by name, parcel, physical address, etc.

Most counties give a sq footage of the house, what years any additions were built, what type the roof is and siding is as of the last inspection, how much they paid for it, etc.

We also use this for outbuildings, grain bins, etc, to determine exact dimensions for valuing the buildings, the years they were built, etc. It's a great resource.

Back