Over 150.000 insurance professionals and consumers come to the Insurance Forum every month. Click here to register for FREE

Go Back   Insurance Forum > Insurance Agents and Brokers Forum > P&C Insurance Forum

Reply to What is the Best Way to Recruit Agents?     
Old 08-10-2010, 10:54 PM   #1
Expert

State: insurance123 is an Insurance Agent from Missouri
What is the Best Way to Recruit Agents? What is the Best Way to Recruit Agents?
My network has been the most effective and I have tossed out some ads on Craigslist. Some of the larger sites like Monster can be very costly. Does anyone else have thoughts on this?
------------------------------------
  Reply With Quote to What is the Best Way to Recruit Agents?

Old 08-11-2010, 06:37 AM   #2
Guru
VolAgent on What is the Best Way to Recruit Agents? - Insurance Forum

State: VolAgent is an Insurance Agent from Tennessee
VolAgent is a member of 5000 posts Super VIP club
What is the Best Way to Recruit Agents? Re: What is the Best Way to Recruit Agents?
Just don't follow the lead of Jim and dozens of others and spam the forum. Every post is not a recruiting opportunity.

However, lots of people have recruited off of this forum. They let it be known they have training and contracts to offer, give good advice and let the people contact them.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:03 AM   #3
Expert

What is the Best Way to Recruit Agents? Re: What is the Best Way to Recruit Agents? insurance123 is the thread starter for: What is the Best Way to Recruit Agents?

Thanks VolAgent. I read Jims post and was thinking the same thing. Last night as I read around on some other threads I noticed he is spamming the crap out of the forum. I'm simply looking for some insight and examples of what others have found success with.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:10 AM   #4
Guru
VolAgent on What is the Best Way to Recruit Agents? - Insurance Forum

State: VolAgent is an Insurance Agent from Tennessee
VolAgent is a member of 5000 posts Super VIP club
What is the Best Way to Recruit Agents? Re: What is the Best Way to Recruit Agents?
You can go one of two roads. Recruit everything with a pulse and spend all your time replacing what you lost. Every once in a while you'll find someone worthwhile. However if you spend all your time recruiting, you won't be able to help the valuable one and they'll eventually leave you for someone who can take care of them.

Or, you can be very selective and only recruit people you think have potential. Won't get as many agents under your belt, and you'll still get people that won't produce. But you won't spend as much time spinning your wheels.

One gets you off to a fast start, the other is slower. Just depends on who you want to be and which you think will pay off in the end.

Register Now for FREE!
To sign up for your FREE INSTANT account, please complete the form.

Username:
    Password:   Confirm Password:     E-Mail:   Confirm E-Mail:     

Question of the day:   Summer is hot and winter is I agree to forum rules 

Old 08-11-2010, 10:04 AM   #5
Guru

State: Bertolinoins is an Insurance Agent from Undisclosed Location
Bertolinoins is a member of 1000 posts VIP club
Network where good agents are. I hired an agent that I befriended at a CIC institute and he joined me roughly a year later. Shortly after that his old firm was sold to a bank and 2 of his former co workers joined me on his recommendation that I am honest, generous and easy to work with/for. Those three control roughly $1.4m in annual P&C commission.

I have purchased books of business from older producer I met through involvement in IBA West and PIA. Not every IA is direct competition so it is good to make friends within the industry.

Third way I meet and recruit agents is on the recommendation of my marketing reps. Reps won't tell you everything but they will point you in the direction of good producers that are not a cultural fit within their agency or agency owners that need a perpetuation plan but don't really have anything in place.

I tried craigslist and monster but the quality of the applicants were pretty poor overall. I did end up hiring one former Nationwide agent and he has done well considering he started from scratch... but I much prefer to bring on an agent that can roll over a book of business.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:05 AM   #6
Expert

What is the Best Way to Recruit Agents? Re: What is the Best Way to Recruit Agents? insurance123 is the thread starter for: What is the Best Way to Recruit Agents?

I have brought on my 5 agents through networking and just agents that I know or have worked with in the past. I agree the book transfers are very nice. Just had a significant book of commercial business roll over with a new agent. A lot of work to get set up but definitely worth it.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:57 PM   #7
Guru

State: arnguy is an Insurance Agent from Pennsylvania
arnguy is a member of 5000 posts Super VIP club
Post signs on telephone poles.
Old 08-14-2010, 09:00 AM   #8
Expert

Originally Posted by arnguy View Post
Haha....or maybe put one of the signs in the ground, "Make $5,000 per week working part time from home".
Old 08-14-2010, 10:13 AM   #9
Guru

State: Bertolinoins is an Insurance Agent from Undisclosed Location
Bertolinoins is a member of 1000 posts VIP club
Originally Posted by insurance123 View Post
Haha....or maybe put one of the signs in the ground, "Make $5,000 per week working part time from home".
Successful insurance agent seeks apprentice, earn $10,000 per month while you learn. Free lunches included.
Old 08-14-2010, 11:26 AM   #10
Guru
Frank Stastny on What is the Best Way to Recruit Agents? - Insurance Forum

State: Frank Stastny is an Insurance Agent from Florida
Frank Stastny is a member of 5000 posts Super VIP club
Originally Posted by arnguy View Post
As soon as we get them out here in the country I will give it a try.

Do you think advertising on the saddlebags of the Pony Express rider will help?

Professional Medicare Supplement Sales Training, Coaching, Support & Contracts.

"The Perfect Contact Management Program (CMP) for the Insurance Professional"
www.YourInsuranceOffice.com
Reply to What is the Best Way to Recruit Agents? 

Insurance Agent Forum > Insurance Forum > Insurance Agents and Brokers Forum > P&C Insurance Forum