What's the Most P&C Policies Sold in One Day?

OldWest

I know the importance is quality, not quantity -- but I'm curious: what's the most you've ever sold (or heard of another agent selling) in one day? I, personally, have heard one agent say he got 54 in one day. Must've been a business with a fleet of company cars!

Please also share your wisdom as to how you found these prospects? I'm sure the need is out there, but like every other agent these days, it can be like pulling teeth to get even *one* each day.

Who cares!?!?

You go ahead and sell 35 policies in a day, all minimum liability policies.

I want to write 2 master condo policies, be done by 10 AM and make 2 or 3 times as much as you do and be golfing by noon.

OldWest said:
I know the importance is quality, not quantity -- but I'm curious: what's the most you've ever sold (or heard of another agent selling) in one day? I, personally, have heard one agent say he got 54 in one day. Must've been a business with a fleet of company cars!

Please also share your wisdom as to how you found these prospects? I'm sure the need is out there, but like every other agent these days, it can be like pulling teeth to get even *one* each day.

24 is my best so far.

Red Blooded American said:
Who cares!?!?

I want to write 2 master condo policies, be done by 10 AM and make 2 or 3 times as much as you do and be golfing by noon.

This 100%.
Less work up front, less work to service, less claims, plus it's gonna help your profit sharing more then any auto premium.

greatfish said:
This 100%.
Less work up front, less work to service, less claims, plus it's gonna help your profit sharing more then any auto premium.

Dang indys and their money making.. I'm captive so I also have to hit policy count : /

FL P&C Broker said:
Wouldn't a business with a fleet of cars still be one policy? 54 policies in a day? I don't believe it.

Well, I got ballsy enough to ask him in an email yesterday, and he explained that one of his clients he wrote Home and Auto for loved the prices, so he gave him a list of all the properties (rent houses) he owns, and wanted dwelling/vacant policies on each. 51 on the list. Probably weren't fantastic payouts in commission, but we're captive, so unit numbers count!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Red Blooded American said:
Who cares!?!?

Here's hoping you have the patience of Job with us newbies; what's a master condo policy? Never heard of it, but sounds like something I should learn about sooner than later.

I also totally agree with you, I'd much rather do it that way. Just wondering about the high PIF count in case I might need to pull a rabbit out of my hat if my numbers are low one quarter. (The joys of captivity.)

Last edited:
I call BS, I know where you work, and thats virtually impossible.

It might be BS in this case, but it's definitely possible, it all comes down to marketing. How many policies a day do you think progressive or geico write? Obviously there are some major differences, but with the right lead generation (which isn't anywhere near as simple as just throwing money at it) 24 is viable. It'd be a lot easier with a few support staff, but viable nonetheless.

How many you do in 1 day doesn't really matter, its how many in a week or a month.

Think about it. Even 10 policies don't fall in your lap one day, day after day. It takes work to market to them, nurture the prospect, etc. Then yes, you might have a day where you close a series of policies, but it really wasn't all done in that day.

Also, number of households matter. Think about it.

You sit down with a client and write 2 cars and a house. How long does that take? 45 minutes minimum, reality is an hour. So, if I can write 3 policies (items) in one household an hour, that means I cap out around 24 in a day. Yes, somebody might have 5 cars, but someone else will be monoline auto.

Truth is, it takes almost as long to write 1 car as it does 5 if they are in the same household. (almost).

Then, a LOT of carriers require inspections, some even photos, of the risks. If you do that, that 1 hour per household just became at least 2. Granted, you can usually do this a different day, but then that is a day of not writing.

You can write a LOT in one day, but it causes a lot of spill over into the week so you have to look at least at the weeks production, not a day.

Granted though, 54 policies in a month is pretty decent for a single agent. I'd take it.

By the way, I'd never call BS to someone who says they wrote 24 policies in a day. I've done it (at least close), but like I said, I was cleaning up from it for a week.

Dan

Back